Author Topic: Please list the nasty hardware so i know what to avoid  (Read 15645 times)

delta_9

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Please list the nasty hardware so i know what to avoid
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
hey guys.  I would love for you to list the hardware that has been a thorn in your side. or stuff that just plain don't work. A little info in regard to what things and at what stage it messed things up would be really appreciated.  Products that take a crap load of set up also belong here.  Thanx guys.  I think the entire community could benefit from this.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Please list the nasty hardware so i know what to avoid
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:40:14 pm »
You're kidding, right?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

delta_9

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:44:38 pm »
i see this is the place to make friends

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:00:09 pm »
I don't think he is kidding...and it is a good idea. I have noticed a lot of people have this and have that, but you don't see any mention of it as working or not yet supported in any wikis for the rest of us to know. I stuck my crap down at the bottom just so people could see what i use. I don't have much though. Just the basic box and some Z-Wave right now. Someone with some knowledge should start working on the wiki....or...someone like Zaerc .....since he's so bad ass....I'm kidding right?? It seems like a lot of people are getting in on this now and some effort by the community should be made to get a decent list going of what there is and what is being worked on. Also....crap that just plain won't work yet....I am waiting for the PCI-E Hauppauge stuff to work.....someday....in the future....before i die....god only gave me so many PCI slots....it is annoying that everyone says this when they first start...but....if it wasn't such a pain to find it then it might lessen it ever so slightly. I think we need a sticky that says...don't bug the rest of us til you read this....otherwise prepare for a decent ass chewing from everyone for being stupid....
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:04 pm »
Someone with some knowledge should start working on the wiki....or...someone like Zaerc .....since he's so bad ass....I'm kidding right??

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Special:Contributions/Zaerc vs. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Special:Contributions/teedge77

There you go, anything else I can do for you?
-- Anonymous

delta_9

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:20:29 pm »
teedge77 thank you for your post very help full and i do a agree i could only find this http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Category:Hardware
and i thought hmm this covers so little... i looked in the posts nothing much to speak of, all specific stuff nothing general. Nothing with a fail safe list of stuff that works every post hardware related iv seen so far. Is like yeah might work, But don't like blame me if im wrong(obvious they have never toyed with that config or hardware) ... that stuff build walls of confidence. i basically wanted people to say i have this and it works ... tried this and it sucked. :-[

delta_9

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:11 pm »
oh all power full Zaerc ... you could grant me one more wish -> stop being a loser

the only nasty hardware im hearing is zaerc man that guys attitude

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:27:55 pm by delta_9 »

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:59 pm »
Sure. How do you think we should organize it...Should we put what we have seen works for others? Who could we ask about what is currently being worked on as far as driver support and stuff? Should we use some sortof template kindof thing or just wing it and write what we want?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:27:32 pm »
Oh, one thing i can tell you. The Z-wave Intermatic device doesnt work at all...the ZCU000 works ok...good luck finding one though. Really that's all i can tell you for sure. The motherboard i use needed to have the BIOS updated....took me a little while to figure out that was the problem....I have no idea if the on board sound works or not...i use the Audigy 2 anyway. I did have to disable the on board sound to get the Audigy to work though. I will try to add stuff to my wiki Zaerc made and then i will change my signature to that.  I will try to dig through some to see what people have working and see what things are being worked on. I know insteon support is supposedly in the works but i really dont know thats a 100% positive claim.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

delta_9

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:32:34 pm »
thank you for your input does Zaerc or anyone else want to share some of his/their experience ?

finding it funny no post on the fail safe post ROFL

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 04:56:49 pm »
Oh....and Zaerc.....your "Vs" thing....I've never signed up to edit a wiki....i just poke around in here. It was a valiant effort though....you have done SOOOO much...we all applaud you greatly....that will actually give me a good place to look at stuff....its easier to look at that and find what I want to try than diggin through the other one...then workin out what I can find. I was lucky to even get the ZCU000....and I heard there was a newer model coming....but haven't seen anything yet. Do you use Z-Wave at all?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 05:17:26 pm »
Oh....and Zaerc.....your "Vs" thing....I've never signed up to edit a wiki....i just poke around in here. It was a valiant effort though....you have done SOOOO much...we all applaud you greatly....that will actually give me a good place to look at stuff....its easier to look at that and find what I want to try than diggin through the other one...then workin out what I can find. I was lucky to even get the ZCU000....and I heard there was a newer model coming....but haven't seen anything yet. Do you use Z-Wave at all?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here but, yeah thanks for your help, very useful. 

BTW. Nice troll you guys got going here, excuse me for not feeding it.
-- Anonymous

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:22:56 pm »
I need a z-wave alternative. Especially since I live in th UK; z-wave don't do our plugs!

I have had a few 'experiences' setting up LMCE.

First off, dont buy a HTPC case with built in imon vfd and remote - (I have the thermaltake bach, but silverstone also do this) it's a pain!
The remote would be handy for LMCE as it has a mouse 'pad' but this doesn't work in linux. There is however a patch to make the pad generate left, right, up, down movements, so I'm gonna give it a go and post a howto here if it works.
The vfd screen is also difficult to set up with LMCE. Again I'm still working on this so I'll post back.
My advice - save the £40 ($80) extra and buy a gyro mouse, or even a windows mce remote.

Second, if you have a wireless network card that requires ndiswrapper (like mine - belkin pre-N) don't use the LMCE dvd installer, you have to install kubuntu then ndiswrapper then the LMCE cd's (in my experience anyway). The dvd install has a different libc6 to the one ndiswrapper depends on, and I couldn't change it!

Third, don't install nvidia drivers from their website or via envy - LMCE only likes its own propietary driver. But do go for an nVidia card over ATI

Fourth, don't buy a samsung HDD! I did as they're cheap, but they are VERY sus and slow!!

There's probably more, so I'll keep thinking :-)
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 05:33:17 pm »
Yeah I got that friggin Zalman HD160 case. It has a VFD....not sure I will ever really bother to get it working since its all in a closet right now. It has a remote that comes with it that I have seen some instructions on getting to work. The gyro thing is probably better though than a regular IR remote.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 05:41:39 pm »
Is it a vfd with that case? or an lcd screen?
The remote with that case should be easier to set up than the imon pad as I think it's like a mce remote right? They're fully supported under LMCE

LCD screens though definately don't work well at the moment.
So another tip - don't get a case with a built in LCD screen!
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT