Author Topic: Reinstalled Os, but now internet won't work!  (Read 11298 times)

ukulele_ninja

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Reinstalled Os, but now internet won't work!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 04:41:12 am »
and I apologise for flying off the handle.

-Thom

No problem, If i end up using LMCE, ill make sure i do as much homework as i can ahead of time.

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:55 am »
The solution, is to put another nic card in, and simply don't use it. LMCE will configure it, and put the DHCP on the empty NIC card, _AVOIDING_ the problem you're experiencing.

Or, it seems to me, if you're going to go to the trouble of installing and/or buying a second nic, why not use it?  Just hook one of your NICs to your dsl/cable modem, and the other nic to a switch to use for hooking up all your internal network devices, and the dhcp server in linux will work for you internal devices.  This is how I did mine and it has worked without a hiccup so far, 0 futzing.  I did have to disable DHCP on my wireless router ahead of time though, because I still wanted to use that on my internal network.  It is slaved off of a GB switch I bought for the purposes of hooking up all of my devices for this project.

takeitngo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 10:45:08 pm »
takeitngo: Easier to come to the forums than to research? Can I quote you on that when I come to kick your ass?

Yeah go ahead and try to come kick my ass
I'm over 6 feet
180 pounds
And I'm african
Try it, you'll shit yourself

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:38 am »
takeitngo: Easier to come to the forums than to research? Can I quote you on that when I come to kick your ass?

Yeah go ahead and try to come kick my ass
I'm over 6 feet
180 pounds
And I'm african
Try it, you'll shit yourself

Sounds more like you're 12 years old.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 01:34:21 pm »
* hari get's some popcorn
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 01:47:41 pm »
 ;)
Heh. Hari eats a lot of popcorn.

Simply put, if you don't use it, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't install it. Thom makes a valid point. If you are connected to an internal or ISP provided router, LMCE is going to by default, try to take over it's DHCP capabilities. Now in a network that has only one PC or laptop hooked to it, this may or may not cause problems with your internet. If the ISP is providing a DHCP address, and LMCE is trying to override it, you may end up with contrary internet access, as one thing is trying to grab the DHCP addres from the ISP/router and another thing, LMCE's internal DHCP server is trying to override that. Could make for some strange system performance, and then you won't be able to fully enjoy your system.

Slap another NIC in there, they are cheap these days, last one I bought was a used 3Com 10/100 card at a local shop for $10 US. You don't necessarily need to use it now, but at least it will prevent the virtual interface from being created, and possibly messing with your internet.

And, when you do decide to add more boxes, and you will  ;), as this is the coolest home platform you'll ever see for free, your second NIC will already be there, waiting for you, no reboot/re-install required  ;D

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 01:50:08 pm »
;)
Heh. Hari eats a lot of popcorn.

yeah, unfortunately some threads require attention..

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation