Author Topic: Source kinda screwy?  (Read 4200 times)

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Source kinda screwy?
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:31:45 am »
Well, I am by no means a programmer, never have been.  But am usually pretty good working with source and compiling things on my own after making whatever mods I need to make.  Am especially pretty good about Debian sources, by grabbing them, if patches are necessary then do so, and then change the control or rules files to suit.  But LinuxMCE's sources are completely out of this world.  Maybe they are normal but I find them way too tiresome to deal with.  Unless someone has a better way to properly compile individual packages that you may want, it just doesn't seem worth it. 

I want to continue using everything that gets installed off the CD's, I just want to change a package here or there to suit.  But it doesn't seem like that is possible without compiling most of the packages beforehand?  Is there an easier way?  Or is it not possible for the LinuxMCE guys provide deb-src packages from all of their stuff, just so that we can make little changes?  That is how the rest of the debian world works. 

By no means am I bitching, please don't take it as such.  For two reasons, one being this is a great product, and am very impressed with it.  And I do thrive to use it.  And two, hey it is their project, they can do things however they see fit as long as they are providing SOME sort of source they are sticking to the Open Source standards.  So thanks for that.  I am just stating how difficult it is to manage compared to everything else out there.  And maybe that is the only way they can keep things integrated together. 

But if someone has an easier way to create new packages from the source files, and I mean specifically single packages, ie. Pluto-MythTV-Player and such.  I don't want to replace the entire system, just certain things.  Then please share.  Looking forward to any help.  I don't want to give up on this, it is very cool stuff.  But it just as is, doesn't seem worth it if you want to do some things a little different.  Hoping this can be resolved.

Thanks again for providing such a great product.  Here's hoping we can all work together with it!

Hooch

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Source kinda screwy?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:20:54 am »
Compiling from sources is a pain right now.  This was inherited from Pluto.  It uses their own proprietary mechanism (see trunk/src/MakeRelease) which has a few neat features, like being able to target lots of operating systems (Windows, Symbian, Linux, etc.), and different options for different distros, etc.  But, for a Linux user, it's very foreign.  And it's really awkward to setup.  I documented a step-by-step for lmce 1.0, and haven't gotten to it yet for 0704.  Compiling the whole lmce release takes forever (like 8 hours) because there's so many packages.  Compiling a new binary is actually pretty easy.  Just untar the sources to a directory, and copy the /usr/pluto/lib into the src/lib directory, and then run make in whatever folder you want to build.  cd trunk/src/App_Server; make clean bin   for examples makes app server.  Then move the resulting output to /usr/pluto/bin to replace the stock binary.

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:01:56 am »
You aint a kiddin bout it being unfamiliar heh.  Thank you very much for replying.  Like I wanted to stress, I am not downing all your hard work, and again it is your guys project, so you do as you see fit.  But if wanting others to truly contribute it isn't in the most opportune way easy to do heh.  I will look at your examples and see if I can make heads or tails from it.  I would like to create new packages but maybe can manage that once I see how you make the binaries.  Hopefully someday it will move into a more general source to be able to compile from?  If not, like I said, it is your stuff!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  I will see what I can turn up.

Hooch

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:15:58 am »
Just a note here, would a trac system help here?
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:00:53 pm »
I figured I'd give the old src/Ubuntu_Helpers/BuildUbuntu.sh script (included in the sources) another spin, if only to see the status quo.  Now I'm getting this error in the web-admin all of a sudden:

Code: [Select]
Fatal error: mysql error: [1146: Table 'pluto_main.PageSetup' doesn't exist] in EXECUTE(" SELECT DISTINCT PageSetup.* FROM PageSetup LEFT JOIN DeviceTemplate ON PageSetup.FK_Package=DeviceTemplate.FK_Package LEFT JOIN Device ON Device.FK_DeviceTemplate=PK_DeviceTemplate WHERE showInTopMenu = 1 AND Website='1' AND (PageSetup.FK_Package IS NULL OR (PK_Device IS NOT NULL AND FK_Installation=24281)) ORDER BY OrderNum ASC") in /var/www/pluto-admin/include/adodb/adodb-errorhandler.inc.php on line 77

So I was wondering, any chance these build scripts might have the possibility of hosing the database?  :)

EDIT:

Could somebody please be so kind to upload this file: http://www.linuxmce.com/linuxmce-databases-1.1.tar.bz2, and possibly the others listed in the wiki, they don't seem to be included with the sources and I think I could use them by now. ;)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:54:42 pm by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous