Author Topic: lmce 0704 hang after reboot??  (Read 1227 times)

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
lmce 0704 hang after reboot??
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:35:47 am »
Hello,
on reboot, my core hangs after the kubuntu blue scroll bar completes.

Console displays:

Ubuntu 0704 dcerouter tty1
dcerouter login:                   /etc/samba/smb.com...      ----

And then it hangs there (for hours).  As I recall, when it booted correctly, several more msgs scrolled by and then x started and the lmce launcher.

Any ideas / plans / 'things to check' appreciated.

much thanks, joseph

pessimist

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: lmce 0704 hang after reboot??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 05:36:45 pm »
yup, i'm having the same issue.

altho i dont know how to 'fix' it, i hit the enter key and the login prompt appeared.
i logged in and did a 'sudo kdm start' and it started the setup wizard, altho it seemed to fix itself at 640x480. so i edited the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'  file with a more appropriate resolution. it still hangs at the same point after a reboot, but doing the same as above (minus xorg.conf edit) starts it up to a usable point.

hope someone can shed some light.

thanks
more of a realist than a pessimist

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:30 pm »
When you booting, do you hear 'beep'? If yes, try to press shift when it boots  - the A/V-Wizard should start. Here is mentioned case when AVWizard by default starts with the wrong video output - you can switch it with 1,2,3,4,5 buttons:
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/AVWizard_running_steps

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:38:55 pm »
pessimist: I was in a similar situation with the a/v wizard being the wrong resolution and having really bad color gradients, but I gave it the benefit of a doubt and when it restarted after finishing, everything was exactly as it should be (a/v-wise). -Ruben

pessimist

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:54:26 pm »
@kir
yeah, tried that, and its a no go (no change).

@elspic
it's the setup wizard, as mentioned that was the wrong res. have not seen the AV wizard during this install.

previously used pluto for near 2 years, been running lmce since mid may. had no issues till now, and still using the same hardware.

i'll try a reinstall tomorrow morning and see if it turns out the same :(

pessimist

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:36:43 am »
ended up going back to beta1. 0704 version runs my cpu 100%, and altho top shows about 25%-35% load, kde system monitor and other monitors show 100% and the cpu is damn hot. back in beta1 its all normal again.

kdog_1914

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:44:15 pm »
I had the same issue, I am using a TI-4600 nvidia card that didn't like the non-legacy drivers that LMCE installed....

I worked around this issue by installing 7.04 from scratch, updating/installing ONLY the Nvidia-glx-legacy (and supporting pkgs), reboot, when it came to LMCE install it diddn't ask me for the nvidia driver install, however it still installed the newer version (Key here is to boot to "mainly used as a PC".)  I booted the PC into KDE, changed the driver that LMCE upgraded it to in the KDE video settings to use the nvidia-glx-legacy, rebooted, then changed the res. settings and started the core...  First thing, it asked me if I wanted LMCE to update to regen to the new res......  I configured the basic stuff as its been a coaster to get that far...

I am happy to report that after checking the box that starts it at bootup, its been live ever since....

I hope that helps some of you with less than 6600 cards....