Author Topic: Anyone have sound problems?  (Read 3091 times)

Jecos

• First post!
    • View Profile
Anyone have sound problems?
« on: August 10, 2007, 07:08:59 am »
Hi guys, everything is working, besides the fact that I had to manually setup the generic wintv bt878 card with mythtv setup.

The Problem is:  I have to manually setup the sound mixer to turn up capture volume, and PCM when I boot up the machine and to get rid of the sound sync issues when Line is on and Line Capture is on as well.  I previously used Mythbuntu, mythtv by itself, and just set the sound manually once and stored it. 
like so:
$ amixer set Master,0 100%,100% unmute
$ amixer set PCM,0 100%,100% unmute
$ amixer set Line,0 75%,75% mute captur
$ amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% captur
$ sudo alsactl store

I mean I guess I could run this script after every startup, but what about all the people that don't have a clue how to do that.

specs:
Dell Dimension 4600
P4 2.8ghz
1 gig ram
120gig Sata HD
Geforce 4mx 64mb
wintv tv tuner (bt878)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:26:40 am by Jecos »

joesixpack

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have sound problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:19:55 pm »
I'm having sound problems. No sound period. I have an ASUS mb with built in intel  82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02). Tried compiling latest alsa drivers and that didn't work (wouldn't compile completely...etc, etc) Ended up screwing the system up a little bit, so I reinstalled the current alsa pkg. Then I recompiled and installed again. Still no go. Then.....tried installing a soundblaster live card (for the 2nd time,  i did this originally at first before upgrading drivers). Now sound works and myth is working (at least for now....)

Before going through all this I was getting sound occasionally by messing with sound setting in KDE, but myth would always lock up....randomly. Sometimes it would work for 10 min, sometimes 10 sec.

Not sure if all my myth problems have been related to the sound card drivers all along.

Any thoughts or problems from anyone else out there?

joesixpack

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have sound problems?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:03:39 am »
well at some point during troubleshooting I disabled hyperthreading in the bios. Tried re-enabling it to improve performance and guess what? No sound......hmmmm. The plot thickens. I disabled it again and now sound is working again with the sound blaster live card. Still no lockups on myth. Maybe hyperthreading and the built in intel sound chip were the cause?

Any nerds out there that might know what's going on here?