Author Topic: Touch screen compatibility  (Read 3480 times)

jeonunh

• View Profile
Touch screen compatibility
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:35:49 pm »
I have a 17" touchscreen that I want to mount into the wall in my kitchen.  I plan to have the computer in the basement with the cableing coming up through the wall.  Details aside, how well does linuxmce detect touchscreen controllers?  Will I need find and install the drivers myself?  How well has the interface been tested with a touchscreen?  thanks 

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Touch screen compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:34 pm »
You can use windows and the win orbiter and it will work fine (assuming you have windows drivers for the touchscreen).

You can use one on an MD but thats harder. UI2 was not designed for touch operation so its missing a few essential buttons. UI 1 should work but I have not tried it. UI2 with its transparency on a touchscreen is pretty slick and getting a touch version would ba a great goal. The elographics driver is loaded and works with ELO screens. You wiull need to configure it yourself, adding entries into the xorg.conf file.

Add the following:
Section "Module"
   Load   "elographics"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Touchscreen1"
        Driver     "elographics"
        Option     "Device"     "/dev/ttyS0"
        Option     "AlwaysCore"
        Option     "screenno"    "0"
        Option      "MinX" "400"
        Option      "MaxX" "3700"
        Option      "MinY" "500"
        Option      "MaxY" "3500"
        Option     "UntouchDelay" "3"
        Option     "ReportDelay" "1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Inputdevice     "touchscreen1"  "SendCoreEvents"

The numbers in green will need to be adjusted for your display to get the cursor to track the screen. I did it through trial and error.

jeonunh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:04:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I do have a working windows installation on the system now with the touchscreen working nicely, but I think the orbiter appearance is totally ghetto looking.  I'll have to look into the linux driver route I think.  I had hoped that lmce might have some kind of auto setup since I always tend to break my installation adding special drivers like this.  I hate to post other peoples stuff on here, but I think LMCE needs to work with the guy over at www.mceguru.com to integrate his frontend control software.  It is the slickest I've ever seen, and is designed on linux.  If only it worked with LMCE instead of Microshafts POS Vista.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 05:14:27 pm »
The UI graphics in LMCE are not too hot. They originated some time ago and seem to be placeholders for other mfrs to insert GUIs. The GUI flow and organization is pretty good making it pretty usable but the eyecandy is missing. The transparency on UI2 is also leading edge technologically but not well exploited in LMCE visually.