Author Topic: Yet another issue...  (Read 5814 times)

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Yet another issue...
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:46:23 am »
I have installed Ubuntu 6.10 and done all the updates.. I have installed the nvidia drivers for the system and then proceeded to do the LinuxMCE install...everything looks like it went ok, the system starts linuxmce up, goes through all the start up steps, and nafter it hits 100% it shifts to a screen that says:

*Activating swap...                                                                                                                  [ok]
*Checking root fiel system...
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/dev/hda1: clean
                                                                                                                                            [ok]
*Cjecking file system...
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)                                                                                                           [ok]

and then it just sits there... I am not sure what I should do with the system outside of re-installing everything with the newest LinuxMCE release.  anyone have any ideas?

ewbragg

• View Profile
Re: Yet another issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 04:23:59 am »
I'm pretty sure that is not a valid installation sequence. From everything I've read RC1 only installs on top of a fresh (Unpatched) version of 7.04 Kubuntu installation. After LinuxMCE is installed it should be okay to update.  Though, I found if you update the kernel libs you break some of the mods. In my instance the lirc and tuner drivers .. had to revert back to previous kernel to get to work again.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:20:47 am »
I'm pretty sure that is not a valid installation sequence. From everything I've read RC1 only installs on top of a fresh (Unpatched) version of 7.04 Kubuntu installation. After LinuxMCE is installed it should be okay to update.  Though, I found if you update the kernel libs you break some of the mods. In my instance the lirc and tuner drivers .. had to revert back to previous kernel to get to work again.

Linuxmce RC1 will only install successfully on Kubuntu 7.04. After the 7.04 install do not do any updates before applying the RC1 install. Once RC1 is installed Linuxmce manages updates for you and the standard Kubuntu Adept update manager is disabled.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:41:32 am »
Bloody hell!!! I download the 0704 version as 2 cd's, burn them to CD and do you think either one will boot up?  guess i should try to get another bloody copy of it and see if it is the same thing, or if something was messed up...anyone have any ideas what may have gone wrong...and before you ask, yes I can boot off of other CD's

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:53 am »
Did you check the md5sums before you burned the ISOs?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 04:03:08 am »
The download instructions indicate that neither cd is bootable.  If you use the dual cd option, you boot off the kubuntu live cd to install kubuntu, adn then lmce on top of it.  The quick install dvd is bootable, since it has both kubuntu and lmce on one disk and installs everything at once.  The dvd is much easier to use (think 20 minute installation with 3 keystrokes, vs 2+ hours installation).   And the dvd is pretty much bulletproof.  *but* it's a 4gb download.

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 10:18:53 pm »
I downloaded the DVD, burned it, installed it and when it reboots I get the error:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

not sure why or how to fix it, anyone have an idea on how to fix this or what may have caused it?

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:26:34 pm »
NM, it turned out that it didn't like the network card, so I swapped it out and everything loaded no problems...now just to fix the stuttering issue...think the system may need more RAM

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:57:12 pm »
hmm had to reinstall and well guess what, back to the:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

and well it isn't the network adapter this time. now i am checking the drive for errors with spinrite

swashbuckler

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:51:23 am »
i'm getting the same error and I can't remove the network card. Also its a pretty good computer.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 06:39:33 am »
this issue appears sometimes when the partitions are not well made. also, another possible cause could be the sata controller. maybe you have to modify in BIOS instead of sata use parallel ata( or something like that).
Read the F****** Logs!!!