Author Topic: Cannot get Kickstart to.... kickstart  (Read 4446 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Cannot get Kickstart to.... kickstart
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:27:13 am »
Downloaded ISO image, unpacked it (RAR), burnt it to a bootable CD.  When it boots it reports

Usage: fat 32.exe [-wl]
             -wl - without LFN support

Search for USB HDD Devices...     (I don't have any)

Error. USB Driver not installed.

No Fat32 Volumes Found, Exiting...

Then it goes on to do the same for NTFS, goes on to find CD roms installes NWCache R1.02 Disk Cache

eventually ends up with a

[DR-DOS] A:\> prompt

Not sure what to do next, if anything.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 08:53:10 am »
Something is wrong...  The iso image isn't packed--you burn it 'straight'.  So i don't know what RAR did to it.

However, you're definately not booting from the kick-start cd--your pc is booting something else.  My guess is you have a new hard drive that contains DR-Dos and that's what's booting--not our CD.  New hard drives may come with DR Dos (what you see: [DR-DOS] A:\> prompt)--our CD doesn't have anything dos or fat32 related--it's linux.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:29:54 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.

The hard drive has just been formated using fdisk prior to booting from the CD.

The image downloads as pldebsrg.iso, which has the icon for RAR file, hence me unpacking it.  When I did, I found it contains all the files I would have expected to see, Debian etc. (This was on laptop running XP).

CD burnt using Nero.  Would I be right in assuming I burn the single pldebsrg.iso file to a bootable CD instead of unpacking the individual files and then burning.

Again many thanks for your patience

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:33:22 pm »
Got it, burnt it straight on as an image as the page says.  That'll teach me to wander off on my own and not follow instructions.

Thanks again