Author Topic: Storage in Core vs. NAS  (Read 3607 times)

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Storage in Core vs. NAS
« on: August 04, 2007, 03:28:50 am »
I am building a core and planned on loading it with a TB or two of drives to hold all my media conent.
I am not sure of how LinuxMCE updates itself / Kubuntu.  It looks like a lot of people do a fresh install with each release.
If that is the case for the near future I would rather store all of my media outside of the core via NAS.
As of now planning on using one 500gb SATA in core.  I was looking at an infrant NAS but they are very expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Blair

viking325i

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Storage in Core vs. NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 07:15:25 am »
I've just started playing with MCE, and have all my data on a separate unbuntu server based machine. I do like the look of the ReadyNAS range even though they are now owned by Netgear.

The only disadvantage i can see is that you'd have two devices to worry about rather than the one, but for me I probably would prefer that, so I can tightly control what data is available to the core.

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Storage in Core vs. NAS
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 05:40:58 pm »
Take a look at FreeNAS www.freenas.org below is the description from the website.  I have been using it for several months.  I had an old P3 setting around that I converted into a NAS using this software package. Works great never had a problem.

Code: [Select]
Welcome to FreeNAS
FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, AFP, RSYNC, iSCSI protocols, S.M.A.R.T., local user authentication, Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface. FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on Compact Flash, hard drive or USB key.
The minimal FreeBSD distribution, Web interface, PHP scripts and documentation are based on M0n0wall.