Author Topic: Forgot Username and Password  (Read 5598 times)

fahey252

• View Profile
Forgot Username and Password
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:31:35 am »
I just successfully installed MCE and cannot access the admin page for further configuration.  From the launch manager I click "open admin website" and the my web browser brings up the login page.

I am prompted for a username and password.  However,  I don't remember creating a username and password.  I have tried all my regular username and passwords that I typically use.  Nothing works.

Does anyone know how to reset this?  Where this information is stored?  Is there a default username and password? 

Help an idiot out, THANKS!

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Forgot Username and Password
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:33:24 am »
Try the username that use selected when you installed Kubuntu.  The password is the same as the username.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:04:25 pm »
Try the username that use selected when you installed Kubuntu.  The password is the same as the username.
I have tried that (after installing 1.1 RC1) but it won't accept it, not with the password the same as the username, nor with the password I set for the account under Kubuntu.

It keeps saying "Invalid username or password, please try again".

And it's not like I don't know the username of the only account on the system.  I suppose I could dig for that forum post that shows how to reset this in the DB, but I would rather like to know what I'm doing wrong here.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:29:47 pm »
I had that problem in Beta 2 so I made sure to add a user during the LMCE install. (RC)
I could then log into the admin site with that user.

Not sure why, but it seems it asks for a LMCE user/pass combo, and not a Kubuntu one (if that makes sense)
You could possibly add a new user from the orbiter?
(I did not try this)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:33 pm »
I had that problem in Beta 2 so I made sure to add a user during the LMCE install. (RC)
I could then log into the admin site with that user.

Not sure why, but it seems it asks for a LMCE user/pass combo, and not a Kubuntu one (if that makes sense)
You could possibly add a new user from the orbiter?
(I did not try this)
Bingo!  I could log in with one of the users that were created during the setup (password=name), thank you.   I thought I had tried that as well, but I guess not.

Last time I installed Kubuntu with the same initial username as the first user I created, that seemed to cause a (very minor) conflict, so I used "linuxmce" for the initial kubuntu user this time, hence the confusion on my part.
-- Anonymous

fahey252

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 07:14:04 am »
Wonderful.  Your password is your username.   

I read the wiki and several different places.  Did you just guess and found this out, previous experience or what?  Where did you find this information?

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 01:30:04 pm »
I'm pretty sure it says it when you create the user. At least it does on the onscreen setup. Actually come to think of it, if you just go to the admin site without a user created it tells you there as well. -Ruben

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:11:22 pm »
Yeah, I think it's mentioned when you create the users during installation.

Anyway, for anyone who did change his or her password and forgot what it was: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Reset_the_password_for_the_LinuxMCE_Admin_site
-- Anonymous