Author Topic: System Settings Obliterated  (Read 2980 times)

raijinsetsu

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
System Settings Obliterated
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:13:39 pm »
I was happy to have finally got MCE installed on my fresh Kubuntu install.
But, after the installation, I found all of my system settings had been obliterated, and none were backed up by the MCE installation program!
All my samba shares were deleted(not too big of a deal). But, somehow, MCE somehow mangled SWAT, so now I have to do everything with samba on the command line.
Also, my x.org config was obliterated so that I was stuck in a 640x400 screen. Luckily, I had a backup of my original and I safely merged the two.

As it stands now, I have to reformat and install Kubuntu again just to undo the damage caused by MCE. I don't think I'll be installing MCE again...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: System Settings Obliterated
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:27:32 pm »
I was happy to have finally got MCE installed on my fresh Kubuntu install.
But, after the installation, I found all of my system settings had been obliterated, and none were backed up by the MCE installation program!
All my samba shares were deleted(not too big of a deal). But, somehow, MCE somehow mangled SWAT, so now I have to do everything with samba on the command line.
Also, my x.org config was obliterated so that I was stuck in a 640x400 screen. Luckily, I had a backup of my original and I safely merged the two.

As it stands now, I have to reformat and install Kubuntu again just to undo the damage caused by MCE. I don't think I'll be installing MCE again...
So let me get this straight, LMCE just ruined your fresh Kubuntu install, and now you have to reinstall Kubuntu simply because you can't access SWAT anymore?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

raijinsetsu

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:11:14 pm »
It clobbered my xorg.conf; it clobbered my smb.conf; and it clobbered something else that inhibits the proper execution of any inted/xinetd server(including SWAT), so I can't even re-configure Samba, except by command line.
It also changed my hostname (which really confused my router and the rest of the computers on the network).
It also automatically installed IPTables and bridged two network connections together.
It changed a lot of things it shouldn't have, and there was no way to return the system to proper working order without a LOT of re-installing and conf editing.
If you're wondering, I chose the option "This computer is a PC first, and MCE second".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:16:24 pm by raijinsetsu »

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:26:04 am »
I'm going to go with Zaerc here and point out that if you installed on a fresh kubuntu install like the directions say, there shouldn't be any of "your" settings on there. This is meant to be an install for a new machine, definitely not for something already in use. As far as IPTables and bridging the connection, the getting started pages all state that the core should be setup as the router for your network. Turn off dhcp on your other router and put the LMCE device right after the modem and before it. That way the old router acts as a switch and LMCE does the actual routing. I'll say that I found the LMCE install did backup a lot of the changed settings files with the extension .pbackup or something similar. Even feeling fairly comfortable with LMCE at this point, I don't think I'd try to put the core anywhere other than as the router; it would just lead to too many issues trying to get all the devices to see each other. -Ruben

raijinsetsu

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:56 pm »
Suggesting you setup the core as a router and automatically setting up the core as a router are two different things. LMCE does not give the user/admin control over many of the networking and configuration options. (Maybe this will be added in the future). But that is not the major problem, as IPTables should not prohibit most Intranet traffic.
However, conf file clobbering is just... WRONG. Most installs backup the conf file, merge in configuration changes, and then write the new file (or, if they don't merge, they tell the user about it and tell them where the backup is). As for those .pbackup files, that's a backup ONLY from the Pluto install on. In my case, my conf files had already been clobbered (by what, I have no clue).
conf file clobbering = BAD, even if it is supposed to be a clean install.
If LMCE is to really take off, you have to assume that not all users are going to have 100% fresh systems. For instance: before I do anything on my box, I need Samba up because it serves files and printers to the rest of my network, and after I install LMCE, I expect my shares to be intact.
This is definitely something that needs to be changed in the future if LMCE ever expects to reach a larger, less technically competent, consumer base.
To reiterate and repeat: CONF clobbering is BAD PRACTICE.