Author Topic: Failed to cache LinuxMCE Disc 1.  (Read 3861 times)

fahey252

• View Profile
Failed to cache LinuxMCE Disc 1.
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:27:30 am »
I have successfully installed Feist Fawn 7.04 and have not updated yet. When I tried to install LinuxMCE 1.1, my install was not successful.  After I chose the option to "use this computer primarily as a PC" and clicked foward I ran into a problem I have not resolved yet.  It prompts me to "insert the LinuxMCE Disc 1 in the drive."  I have tried using the LinuxMCE cache CD, LinuxMCE packagesCD and the live kubuntu CD.  After clicking forward, all CD's reproduced the same error - "failed the cache LinuxMCE Disc 1."  Yet to fix problem....   Can anyone help this frustrated person????  THANKS!

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Failed to cache LinuxMCE Disc 1.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:22:17 am »
there are two installers in the package that you downloaded from bittorrent. use the installer with the greater lenght.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

fahey252

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:33:46 am »
Yes, there are two files I have from the torrent file: the Linux MCE cache.iso and the Linux MCE packages.iso.  Both images were burned to disk and MD5sums matched.  Not only have a I tried using the .iso of greater length, I have tried the other one just for the hell of it (even the kubuntu live CD which has nothing to do really with the MCE install just because).   Do you know why or a work around I could try to pass the error I mention in the first post?  Anyone?

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:58 am »
there are two installers in the package that you downloaded from bittorrent. use the installer with the greater lenght.

That means that on the LinuxMCE.packages.iso you will find 2 mce-installer.deb . Make sure that you use the one that has 5.4 Mb.
You can also try using the .iso directly from the hdd, this way you will save time since the caching of the cds takes almost one hour to complete.

Note that the first cd is the packages cd and the second is the cache cd.

fahey252

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:04:10 am »
Thanks!  It was helpful that you mentioned that the "first CD" is the linuxMCE.packages.iso.  I was using the correct 5.4mb .deb file and it created the icon on my desktop.  However, I had to redownload the .iso files from KTorrent.

I tried burning a data disk with the .iso's to a dvd disk on my windows PC.  I put them in my Kubuntu system and I was unable to drag-and-drop them to the desktop.  I was forced to redownload the torrent file.  I relized I did not have have the permission's to read/write/execute the files.  Only the creator had access; group and other had absolutely no permissions.

I tried becoming root and even a "super user" in Konqueror and it didn't work.  I just found the overall process complicated - I am a new user though. 

After an hour or so of installing, the installer buckled and said "could not install lame" and just quit on me, but thats another thread.  So I am goona start over.  Thanks for the help!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:26:48 pm »
Instead of redownloading the ISOs over and over again, you might want to use md5sum to see whether the ISOs are complete and correct.  Good luck on your next install.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous