Author Topic: Nokia 770 Orbiter  (Read 51784 times)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Nokia 770 Orbiter
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 07:41:58 am »
I flashed OS2007 HE on my Nokia 770, and the stability just went to shit.

it reboots intermittently, especially inside the Orbiter.....and it bombs out even more than it does in OS2006, except this time, it will completely crash the application and drop me back to the desktop?

Are these issues with the Nokia orbiter EVER going to be fixed?

This thing is useless as an orbiter. I would be pissed if I had spent more $$$ than I did on it.

Ironically, my mobile phone works much better as an orbiter, more stable, usable... but I love the full orbiter panel. I really really really wish there could be a stable solution.

Do we all just get N800/810s??? and write the Nokia 770 off as, a nice toy, but...no dice? or do we fix this fucking software? oh right...

Dear Tom, first of all I'd like to ask you give more respect for people who develop Plutohome, LMCE and third-part software. If you have some trouble, please, explain your problem more details - to share your emotions you can find better place.

Regarding the Orbiter on Nokia770. I already explained the problem many times. There is a weak WiFi support by device (sometimes I cannot login to 770 which is placed near access point but device shows high quality signal). As Nokia guys mentioned in the maemo mail list it can be because access point is not support WLAN Power Save Mode properly. So, as you may see nothing related with the Orbiter implementation.

I second nite_man's comments above. Just chilll out a little ;-)

As nite_man suggests try another AP... we've use mostly NetGear AP's in our testing and they work fine with the N770. Maybe thats a place to start.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2007, 01:28:56 pm »
I have managed to get the orbiter installed on OS 206 on my Nokia 770. I had to uninstall the version of libsdl-gfx1.2 installed by the package manager and install the one downloaded from the pluto-orbiter garage page. For some reason with the package manager installed version whenever I tried to install the orbiter it failed the dependency check saying libsdl-gfx1.2 was not installed!

I then created a new orbiter in the web page and reloaded the router, and then entered that device ID into the nokia orbiter start up screen along with the core IP address, but when I click start orbiter nothing happens. The application goes white after a while and crashes.

Any ideas?

Chris

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2007, 02:48:20 pm »
Chris, be sure that you connect to WiFi access point before starting the Orbiter. Also, to see what happened you can run the Orbiter from the command line (run xterm first):

Code: [Select]
> Orbiter -r 192.168.80.1 -d 30 > ~/MyDoc/.documents/orbiter.log 2>&1
and attach the log here of send me by email - michael at stepanoff dot org. Sure you should replace IP and ID by your own.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2007, 05:29:26 pm »
DOH! - it was a firewall issue!!

I have got the orbiter running but have also found that it crashes after a while. What's more infuriating is that sometimes button presses are instant but sometimes it becomes completely unresponsive. I would try one of my other APs, but I can't seem to get WPA2 working with this device and my Apple wireless APs. It just says "authentication failure". Has anyone else has WPA2 problems? I have tried using a password and also using a pre shared key.

Chris

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2007, 05:54:34 am »
Okay, re-flashed and re-set back up my OS2006 setup.. Orbiter a lot more stable.. still bombing out frequently.. I will try another AP next...

also, oddly enough, responsiveness is okay for the first few moments of using the device
but i find as i do more keystrokes, the system gets slower...and slower....and slower....
until the orbiter completely bombs out.. why is this?

also, is there _ANY_ way in hell to make my own FIASCO image? I'd just like to make an image I could flash onto a fresh unit without going through the hell of installing this software...because, believe me... it at the least could be made a LOT easier to install if anyone cared... but I guess it's "Gee, i've got it installed, so why should I bother helping to make the install process easier for others?" Yes, I am being a bit snappy, it's the cause of much frustration built up over trying to use this damned thing as an orbiter...and all I've ever gotten from any of you, is "Gee, try another AP." THAT'S NOT A REAL ANSWER, and I really honestly, don't buy it... but I'll try....

I mean, really.. this version of the orbiter is somewhat hobbled, are we just waiting for Pluto to fix it? or is someone actively making changes to the code?

-Thom

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2007, 09:27:41 am »
I'm thinking about possibility to build a standard image for Nokia with LinuxMCE Orbiter. Another good choice might be building a custom image which allows to run the Orbiter only. I not a guru in the maemo. So, any help will be appreciated.

Regarding the code of the Orbiter. Currently Pluthome team cares about it. But since they don't produce a production version of Nokia Orbiter I do that work: patch the code and build the package. So, I also will be very appreciated for any help C++ folks.

And finally, to trace your problem, Tom, we can do following:
1) Download that version of the Orbiter with debug mode ON - http://www.mediafire.com/?5snnminnyze.
2) Untar it somewhere in the device.
3) Go to created directory. You should see two subdirectories here: bin and lib.
4) Specify the path to the new libraries:

Code: [Select]
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./lib5) Run the Orbiter from the command line and redirect its out put in the log:
      ./bin/Orbiter -r core_IP -d Orbiter_ID > orbiter.log 2>&1
6) Send me the log by email: michael[at]stepanoff[dot]org

As I see the bottle neck for Nokia770 is playing video. In my case the Orbiter crashes  when I try to play some DVD because (it's just a guessing) it should display a DVD menu. So, any useful debug info will be useful to solve that.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2007, 04:31:45 pm »
Okay, I'll download it when I get home...

Oddly enough, I seem to be able to view the dvd menus fine, if a bit slow... it does tend to crash after a few moments of that....

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »
Yes, I am being a bit snappy, it's the cause of much frustration built up over trying to use this damned thing as an orbiter...and all I've ever gotten from any of you, is "Gee, try another AP." THAT'S NOT A REAL ANSWER, and I really honestly, don't buy it... but I'll try....

I mean, really.. this version of the orbiter is somewhat hobbled, are we just waiting for Pluto to fix it? or is someone actively making changes to the code?

Thom,

all people involved spend their leasure time to improve LinuxMCE. Use the source, Luke, and stop bit****.

The problem is the following: early 802.11b APs (and others, some vendors even don't manage it today) have big bugs in the power management routines. The AP should cache packets for the client while it is asleep for short periods. Bad APs didn't cache properly or simply sent the packets out while the client does not listen on the air.
So yes, the source of your flaky connection with the N770 is your AP. THIS IS THE ANSWER.

Step one: Deactivate power management and be stunned by the improvements
Step two: look at the source and improve the code
Step three: ?
Step four: profit ;)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »
Just for the record, I'm using a brand new Linksys 802.11N router/AP

and yes, I am an open source developer. But I've also been in situations where communities have inherited LARGE code-bases and have been ineffective in maintaining or extending them. This is my fear with this code-base.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2007, 06:43:59 pm »
Just for the record, I'm using a brand new Linksys 802.11N router/AP
Just for the record, i prefer the aironet line from this vendor. As you can read in my post: some vendors even don't manage it today.
I don't know if this model is affected. But cheapo hardware often doesn't get the trick..

and yes, I am an open source developer. But I've also been in situations where communities have inherited LARGE code-bases and have been ineffective in maintaining or extending them. This is my fear with this code-base.
I don't share your fears. But don't let this go off topic. Did you even try to disable power management with iwconfig? Maybe it's lunch time for trolls?

Step one: man iwconfig:
---8<---
Examples :
                   iwconfig eth0 power period 2
                   iwconfig eth0 power 500m unicast
                   iwconfig eth0 power timeout 300u all
                   iwconfig eth0 power off
                   iwconfig eth0 power min period 2 power max period 4
--->8---
Step two: iwconfig <interface> power off
Step three: test with ping (both sides), tcpdump and the debug settings recommended in this post

best regards,
Hari
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:46:52 pm by hari »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »
I apologise coming off snappish... just built up frustrations.. i love this system, it's amazing beyond belief.. but i also see its flaws, and the two grind up against each other in my head..and sometimes I just get angry.. blah.. anyway.. thanks for the suggestions.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2007, 07:00:49 pm »
I apologise coming off snappish... just built up frustrations..
no prob, we are all human, are we?

anyway.. thanks for the suggestions.
hope this helps.

best regards,
Hari

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 09:04:14 pm »
I tried disabling power management using iwconfig but my problems persist. Running a constant ping test shows my pings are between 2-3ms most of the time but perhaps 1% are in the region of 10-14ms. Can having 1 ping every now and then which takes 14ms really explain why the Orbiter keeps freezing and crashing?

Several times now the orbiter has quite back to the connection screen, or shut down the device altogether. When it is running it's not much use as it will work fine for 30 secs then suddenly stop responding.

To the people using the suggest APs - does this stop the orbiter crashing? What version of the OS are you using?

Thanks,

Chris

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2007, 12:15:38 am »
Chris,

Just some feedback, not sure if it helps.

I am using a Linksys WRT54G, purely as an access point and was having really bad problems (connectivity would only work for < 1 min) and sometimes would not connect at all. This made the orbiter useless.

As I was getting network problems even on web browsing I was suspect of the whole 770 device or the Access point. Did a bit of searching and found some explicit instructions for setting this device up as an access point, so I did a hard reset and followed this almost exactly - only difference being I changed the wireless channel from the default of 11 to 3 as I had read other people had said this had improved things.

The result was fantastic. I can now get a connection from anywhere in the house (or back yard), have not had it drop out once and a result is the Orbiter is good. Still not prefect, as it will drop back to the start screen occasionally - but certainly usable.

I am still running os2006 image that came with the device.

HTH

Darren

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:55 am »
Hello,

I have a nokia n800 with OS2007.26-8, and i try to install pluto orbiter. I have installed all the depedencies (with repository) except libmysqlclient12 and libsdl-gfx1.2 : "unable to install ...".
When i try to install the package linuxmceorbiter-0704-03_armel.deb, it's notify application packages missing

Tks

Mickael

Problem resolved. It was download error for the 2 files...

Hi.  I'm having the same problem, so hopefully you  (or Michael) can help.

I've gotten all the dependencies installed except for libmysqlclient and libsdl-gfx.  When I tried clicking them in Michael's Maemo garage repository and selecting "install" I get an error that says unable to install.  I tried downloading them and using "install from file" in application manager, but I get the same error. Can you tell me what your issue was and how you fixed it?  I'm running an n800 with OS2007 .

Thanks!
-Pete K