Author Topic: Network Configuration issues during install  (Read 13189 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Configuration issues during install
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 09:47:04 am »
The 8139too module is in your listing, so it's in there. I guess it doesn't get loaded automatically.

You can't easily trace what happens.

Here's how I do it:

1. rename the initrd.img to initrd.img.orig
2. mkdir i; mount -o loop -t cramfs initrd.img i
3. mkdir j
4. open mc and copy everything from i to j (cp -a complains about not being able to create hard links).
5. umount i
6. edit the scripts in the scripts/ directory: I but "set +x" for traces and "/bin/sh" as breakpoints
7. mkcramfs j initrd.img
8. boot diskless; repeat

Note: do this with the initrd in /tftpboot/<ip>. That's where the booting is done from.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 11:40:28 pm »
Hi,

I found cause - non plug'nplay OS setting in Bios solved problem. But same PC worked ok under Suse ...

Thanks for help and sorry for inconvenience....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 10:22:42 pm »
thats really handy to know - thanks for posting it, ill go check the setting on my machine.  Was running fedora fine earlier, autodetected cards etc so i thought it was probably compatible.

Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Card Types
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 01:18:17 am »
Sorry getting back late.

As far as card manufactures go.. Dlink, 3Com, Kingston, Netgear and Intel. Some of them I have multiple models. I do have new info.

I was just given an old all intel P3 box. True intel board and processor. It only worked with the intel card, but it worked. After completing the Pluto install process, I have successfully tested two of the 3com's and the Kingston.

Just some thoughts here. It seems sarge has limited drivers and/or some mother boards with certain network cards don't work with sarge. The odd thing is they all seem to work with older versions on debain. I hope this helps.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 04:16:42 pm »
I've had no joy - its a compaq D510 i'm running this on, and the BIOS is lacking in options!

I have some other NIC's I can try, looks like it is working though - link up, 100Mbps, downloaded some updates and sync'd the clock fine.  I'm just getting this message on install...  and its not letting pluto setup correctly.

Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
I am trying to set this up with a single NIC, not sure if that would make any difference - I don't need this machine as a firewall, and the place its located has only one cable going to it!

Just enabled DHCP on my network, its gone through that part of the install fine, but I do want to use network boots!

Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 03:00:24 am »
I get the same message when trying to install Pluto. I've two NICs, one onboard (SiS I think)and a Realtek card. The install sees both of them and asks me to choose one. Regardless of which one I choose I get the error.

i.e"Network autoconfiguration failed Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol"

If I choose the "Don't configure networking" option and carry on, Pluto installs, but won't load completely. It hangs at "Loading DCERouter"

However, if I connect the machine to an ADSL modem (which has it's own DHCP inbuilt) Pluto installs and starts perfectly.

Thinking I'd got around the error, I then connected it to a network switch along with another machine, but it is  not accessible from the other machine on the network switch?

I'm going to try installing a diskless media director to see if that starts DHCP and also check the BIOS for non-PnP settings tonight.
I hope it works, I'm dying to get this thing going.
Paul