Author Topic: Which security panel is wireless?  (Read 4676 times)

savvycenter

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Which security panel is wireless?
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:27:35 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a security panel and I don't have the options to re-wire the whole house. Therefore, I need to go with wireless. I was orginally thinking  about the GE security NX model, but the store salesman told me the keypad must be hardwired to the control panel. So I think this option is out. Does anyone know which other Pluto/LinuxMCE supported panel is wireless or mostly wireless?

Thanks in advance!

savvycenter

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Which security panel is wireless?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:19 pm »
It seems that not many people use Linuxmce with a security system. Does anyone know how easy/hard to add a driver for a new security system?

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:28:37 pm »
I think LinuxMCE is media centric and thats where the lions share of the attention is focused. I am very interested in how you make out. I am in the same boat. I would love to add a panel but the ones that are known supported are beyond my ability to install. 
Good Luck.

Regards,
Blair

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:35:58 am »
It seems that not many people use Linuxmce with a security system. Does anyone know how easy/hard to add a driver for a new security system?
Try to look for existing examples. If I remember right, Apex Destiny support is written in GSD/Ruby and maybe this could give you idea.

I have no idea how hard it is - if you have not so many features on device and its Rs232 protocol well documented, I guess this is pretty easy task.

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:54:56 am »
You can add any devices (theoretically) using Generic Serial Device with embedded Ruby. But you should know a communication protocol using by your device to implement Ruby commands.

Agree with Bulek. The best start point to implement your own interface to some device is to see the existing one. For example  Apex Destiny or NOEMON-CANBus. Just add them to your installation via admin interface and check Ruby code on the Generic Serial Devices page or checkout a source code.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

savvycenter

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 09:17:12 pm »
Thanks for all the reply. I've checked the source codes, it seems to me that only Apex Destiny 6100 and DSC security system are supported. I was trying to locate the API specification for Apex and others, but I can't find them.  The Apex document that was mentioned in the wiki doesn't exist anymore. That would be hard to do anything if we can't get the spec.

I have found that PowerMax is all wireless and we can use serial port to communicate with it, but user manual says that it will only upload and download data through the port, so I'm not sure if we can control it. I also cannot find the spec for this one either.

Does anyone have access to any of these spec? I'm looking for PowerMax, GE Interlogix/Caddx and Apex. If I can get a hold of these, I will try to write driver for it. Otherwise, I might have to re-consider Apex and may be find a way to hardwire at least one keypad to the main board and use orbiters as remote controls in other areas.