Author Topic: Home Automation Transmitter  (Read 5391 times)

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Home Automation Transmitter
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:02 pm »
Does whatever you use, like the X10 or Z-Wave or whatever it is, transmitter control have to be in the Core, or can it be in a MD?  Reason I ask, is due to my Core being back in a closet away from the rest of the house, and not sure if the RF would pick up throughout?  Just curious.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:33:42 pm by Hoochster »

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Home Automation Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:05:50 pm »
The standard that I've seen is to put it into the core, though I'm not certain yet that you can't install it into an MD.  You should be fine installing a Z-wave transmitter into the core because each device will retransmit messages down the line.  This means that your core doesn't have to be in range of the furthest device, as a z-wave device in the middle will forward messages.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:08:09 pm by PeteK »

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:46:46 am »
Appreciate the reply.  I knew they retransmitted, but just didn't know what the initial range was.  I guess if needed I can put some modules close by so that they will re-transmit.  Stopped at Home Depot and didn't see the kit there.  So guess gonna have to look into ordering it!

Thanks

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:13 am »
Does anyone know any available Z-wave USB interfaces that work with LinuxMCE?  The only one I know of that is officially supported is the ZCU000 that is out of production and no longer available.  The ZCU101 replacement is due to ship soon, but has anyone else gotten one of the other interfaces to work?  I know the Intermatic stick was not recognized by Pluto.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:44 pm »
I recently bought a zcu000 from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/youautomateit

I don't know if they still have any though. It was just a week ago I bought it and I just got it working with everything this weekend. Sorry, I don't know of any others that work with it right now.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:54:41 pm »
I bought one from here the other day, still waiting on it to come in, but I'm pretty sure it's the same model other people have had success with: http://bassburglaralarms.com/zcu000_usb_zwave_interface_103878_prd1.htm

as soon as I clean it up, I'm going to post my experience/tips using LMCE. -Ruben

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »
Thanks for part numbers guys!  So I know X10 sucks, but is Z-Wave the better one to go with these days?  I hear about that Insteon or whatnot but hear the support might be lacking for use with LinuxMCE etc?  I haven't got anything yet, so just looking for the best means to go with that isn't gonna break the bank!  But want it reliable. 

Also, being as Z-Wave works off RF, what is the range supported?  For instance, I have a playhouse out in the backyard that is powered, actually on a different meter, the one that goes to my shop, but I assume if it is RF it won't matter.  But just curious to know how far away from another device can it trigger a different device?

Thanks for assistance.

Hooch

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:12:13 pm »
I downloaded the first release of LMCE since it came out and have been playing around with it since then and I'll tell you that insteon was the first HA system I tried but I ran into 2 problems: I don't think LMCE actually supports it yet and 2.) my apartment building is pretty old and only has a 2-wire electrical system so I don't think the insteon stuff was even wired in correctly. With the z-wave it's 2 wires with a ground so it can be put in as a replacement in almost any situation I can think of. As far as the range, I'm not entirely sure of what it is, but do you think putting something like this: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Fixture-Modules-C107.aspx in the line between the playhouse and shop would help? -Ruben

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:04:50 pm »
I don't really know enough about Insteon and X10 to say how they are compared to X10. I only went with Z-Wave because of the LinuxMCE support. The range is about 30 feet ;but it also uses a mesh network. The controller for LinuxMCE only needs to be within 30 feet of one of the switches. That switch will talk to all the others on down the line to find the correct one and do what was sent to it. You will need a hand remote control though. You need to program that remote with all the devices in the Z-Wave network. Then, you send all the info from that remote to the zcu000 controller. I finally got mine working this weekend. I only had 2 switches to do. I didn't want to put a ton of money into it if it wasn't going to be what I needed; but so far it seems like it will be fine. You can get temperature control devices but they are expensive and I dont know about the compatibility of those with LinuxMCE. I will probably be getting an Omni security panel and use that to control the temperature. Taking this one hardware piece at a time to make sure it works and i have the time to do it right.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 10:33:34 pm »
Well the 30' thing won't work that's for sure heh, it is probably about 100+' to the playhouse.  No big deal, would just be nice to control it for when the kids leave the lights on heh! 

I know all about 1 step at a time heh.  It costs too much $$!  That's why it is great to get knowledge from you guys that have done it.  Thanks for the info.  Will see about ordering a starter kit sometime when I can afford it and go from there.   I am still having issues getting the remote md's working so far but just started playing this weekend.  And learning every step of the way.  I am so intrigued by the system though, I can't walk away from it heh.

Thanks again.