Author Topic: Questions  (Read 3062 times)

cwoelkers

• View Profile
Questions
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:44:26 pm »
I am building a system for use as a PVR.  But I have some questions about Linux MCE first before I decide to use it.
1. I have heard that an Nvidia 6xxx video card will work best. What about an Nvidia GeForce 7600GS?
2. Although I would like to have a higher end processor I would also like to keep this system cheap.  Would a Sempron 64 3000 be able to work as well as an Athlon 64 X2 3600?
3. Will Linux MCE recognize 2 TV capture cards? (both would be  Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150)
4. I would like to be able to use the computer for web browsing and games, specifically Stepmania and Cedega, as well as for PVR functions.  Can this be done without switching desktops?
5. How well will the remote that comes with the Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150 work?
6. Which version of Ubuntu should I use?  I have downloaded Ubuntu Desktop 6.06 LTS as it has many more years of support ahead of it.  Will this work better than 7.04?  And what about the Ubuntu derivatives such as KUbuntu?
If someone could help me with these questions that would be great.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:54:02 pm by cwoelkers »

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:32:14 pm »
Some answers..

1. Either will work fine although I would lean towards a 7600 if you have the room in your budget since you might get more out of it longer term.
2. Yes
3. Yes (MythTV handles it)
4. Yes, you can set certain apps up to launch within the on screen Orbiter or you could switch between that and the KDE desktop
5. Any remote that works with Lirc is supported, if I recall correctly that one will work.
6. 1.1 is geared towards Kubuntu 7.04 so I would use that.

cwoelkers

• View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:34 am »
Thanks.
Now that I know I can finish the build.