Author Topic: Squeezebox  (Read 5480 times)

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Squeezebox
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:11:05 pm »
Hi Guys

Installed a 3rd generation Slim Devices Squeezebox on my linuxMCE box last night. The device was found and the software installed. It is showing in the admin site. It is connecting to the DCE Router without any problems but will not show any of the stored content. I checked out the WIKI and it mentioned that if the box was the only audio device in the room it should play what ever was playing via the MD, unfortunatly it isnt playing ball or playing the song!. Have I missed something out? I tried it under windows vista and it worked first time.

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:34:48 am »
I just installed a Squeezebox and a Roku to LMCE. It went OK and they have access to the content in the system. However it's organization is lacking, all of the content is reported in one album.
First, is your content in the home/public/data/audio directory or a subdirectory or linked directory?
Second, have you looked in the browse-music folder from the SB to see if its there?

You might create a virtual room (music?) and move it there so you can directly access and send music to it.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:17:27 am »
One of the issues I ran into was that LMCE doesn't tag all audio file types with the proper information when it rips them. Specifically, files ripped as .ogg and .flac don't get tagged with artist and album info.  These tags are what Slimserver uses to sort the files and display on the screen.  I've modified the ripping script to add this information to .flac and .ogg files in this thread:

http://forum.linuxmce.com/index.php?topic=1726.0

-Pete

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:16:47 am »
Hi 1audio & PeteK

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.

All my audio is available to LinuxMCE I can play all of it through my amp. When I browse music by what ever option on the Sqeezebox it just says "Empty". How do I direct the music to the squeezebox? How do I choose it as the output device?

Thanks

Paul

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:45:55 am »
As I know Squeezebox is integrated with LinuxMCE in following manner. You add it to the system. The system recognizes it, assigns it to the specific room (that room should have any MD) and install SlimServer. After quick reload router when you choose the room with Sqeezebox on Orbiter, go to audio section  and choose some song to play the system automatically will transfer request to the Squeezebox and it starts play the music. Theoretically, you should be able to control Squeezebox from its remote but I'm not sure in case of LinuxMCE.

You can try SlimServer web ineterface - http://you_core_ip:9000. But be sure that you add port 9000 on the Firewall page.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:12:53 pm »
The room that you assign to the squeezbox to does not need a MD.  In fact , it may be easier initially if it does not have an MD.  That way, when you select that room to play audio through, it will definitely play it through the squeezebox.  I installed mine this way and it works OK.

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 12:20:40 am »
Hi guys

I have removed the installed Squeezebox software via the admin site. I reset the squeezebox and LinuxMCE prompted me to install the Squeezebox again and I chose a room without an MD. When I log into that room and try to play an audio file I get a message telling thatthere are no devices capable of playing the file in the room. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts! I am using release 1.1RC.

Thanks

Paul

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:50:47 am »
there are several steps to troubleshooting this. Here is what I would do-
First the obvious- reload the router and see if its there. Then reboot just to make sure its not working right.

1) Open Slimserver and see if its installed and that the Squeezebox is there- 192.168.80.1:9000
2) Can you access anything from the Squeezebox?
3) Look in the devices tree to see if you can find the Squeezebox entry. Devices (bottom of the left menu), then quick jump and look through the listed devices for it. It may be at the bottom of the list if its new. On mine they are easy to spot sine they are the blank entrys. Open the entry and see if its got the correct info, room IP address etc.
4) The device number may relate to a log. You can access the log from that page in the device tree and see if it has any clues.

Let us know what you find.

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 12:15:41 am »
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice installed 0704 and my Squeezebox works fine.

Thanks again.

Paul