Author Topic: where I can download LinuxMCE and how to set it up?  (Read 11705 times)

plumlee

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
where I can download LinuxMCE and how to set it up?
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
hello everybody, who can tell me where I can download this system and how to setup.

thankyou very much!!

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: where I can download LinuxMCE and how to set it up?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:32:51 pm »
The first step is to install Kubuntu 7.04.  You can find it here: http://www.kubuntu.com/download.php

The next step is to download and install LinuxMCE 1.1beta2 (current as of 7-22).  You can find it here:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Version_1_1

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply

Naitsirk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:03:32 pm »
Hallois

7. Right click on the "mce-installer_2.0.1-1_i386.deb" and select the option to install the package.

I didn't notice the name at first, downloaded and burnt on cd, but then when I was about to install I noticed the i386 part of the filename..

I've got an AMD Sempron 3200+, so guess I should find an amd64-version of the linuxmce packages?

At least with kubuntu download I had to choose between i386 and amd64..

Any suggestions on where to get the amd64-version, if it exists, or will the i386-file work fine?

Cheers!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »
Hallois

7. Right click on the "mce-installer_2.0.1-1_i386.deb" and select the option to install the package.

I didn't notice the name at first, downloaded and burnt on cd, but then when I was about to install I noticed the i386 part of the filename..

I've got an AMD Sempron 3200+, so guess I should find an amd64-version of the linuxmce packages?

At least with kubuntu download I had to choose between i386 and amd64..

Any suggestions on where to get the amd64-version, if it exists, or will the i386-file work fine?

Cheers!

There is no amd64 version of LMCE (yet).  Just use Kubuntu 7.04 i386 with LMCE-1.1 Beta2 for now, in my experience it won't even try to install on the amd64 version of Kubuntu.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

plumlee

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:04:10 am »
thank you very much!

bookie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 12:50:11 pm »
Hi to everyone at MCE forum, this is my first post  - trying to find my way around. I noticed that Petek has suggested kubunto as a distro. I'd like to ask Petek why he chose kubuntu and not ubuntu? I am testing many different distros to find the one best suited for running MCE - and am not experienced in the different versions from ubunto.

bookie

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:12:48 pm »
Right now, LinuxMCE will only work with the KDE desktop and Ubuntu Feisty.  This is distributed as Kubuntu. There are plans to make it compatible with a wider range of Linux distributions, but that is not available yet.