Author Topic: Building a core ideas?  (Read 8138 times)

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Building a core ideas?
« on: July 17, 2007, 06:49:26 pm »
I had a Poweredge 2400 Dual 1ghz P3 1gb ram w/ ~120GB SCSI Raid 5.
I tried to install Kubuntu a bunch of times, but I had problem w/ the Perc Raid controller not working with Kubuntu. I don't have the patience to track down a solution nor do I want to. I will use the Poweredge for something else -File server - NAS -Misterhouse box -etc...

I am looking to put together a core.

I have a decent ASUS server case that is unoccupied at this time.  I am looking for a cpu/mobo combo or barebones kit or a used pc that would be good for the core.
I have been looking at the Dell Precision 450 Dual Xeon PCs  and similar on Ebay.(around 300.00 w/o decent storage.)
I have been searching Tigerdirect/Newegg/Zipzoomfly for a decent barebones.  I saw a lot of cheap Pent d's kits.
I think I would rather do an AMD x2 4000+.
I have been using Pricewatch to see if I could find a good deal on a cpu/mobo combo.

I have around $200.00. In a couple weeks I will have around $250 more to contribute. Plus some stuff I can get some money for on Ebay...

I would like somthing similar to:

ASUS mobo
AMD 4000 or greater CPU
1gb ram
1 -500gb SATA drives.
Nec DVD writer/drive

Not sure if I need a good vid card or not or just use the integrated??????
PVR-500.

mobo and cpu approx $150
Ram - $50
500gb -$100
Nec -$30
VID card??
PVR-500 - $150ish

Less that $500 is what I am shooting for.

Any one have any ideas? a setup that is similar? better place to look for parts?

Any help is appreciated.
I would only be running one MD to start, but would like to run possibly 3 or 4 someday w/ a dedicated core.

Regards,
Blair

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
Re: Building a core ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:56:05 am »
As I already wrote in other post in Pluthome only nVidia 6XXX (Asus на 6200LE, for example) works well with UI2 Alpha Blended and HDTV. Also I head that VIA UniChrome is supported under Linux but I didn't make any real tests yet.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:13:13 pm »
Thanks for the input. I have had bad experiences with VIA and Linux.  I have had good success with ASUS mobos and Nvidia chips and Linux.

Still scouring for a deal.

Thanks.

Blair

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:36:30 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Category:Hardware has a few mainboards now, that should help get you started.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:34:54 pm »
Thank you for the link. The Asus boards look good. I need more PCI slots.
have a kodicomm card thats PCI  (cctv card)
have a hauppauge thats PCI (Video capture)
have a Digium card thats PCI. ( Telephony)
plus a 3ware Raid card that most likely will be PCI. (I want hardware raid)

The only one I have in my possession now is the Kodicom. So I can tweak if necessary.

Regards,
Blair

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:11:32 am »
Do some homework on hardware RAID. A Google search for Linux raid will give you more than you want to know. Even with the latest tech its a lot of cost with little real performance (unless you are running an ATM network). LMCE has software raid built in and a setup for it thats pretty straightforward.
You can use a Digium card but a Grandstream Handytone-488 is less than $100 (I think mine was $60) and gives you all you need (including PSTN fallover if you want to set it up)
I use the HDHomeRun for TV. Its been working great. And no slots, just connect to the network.

I hope this helps.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:42:04 am »
Thank you 1audio.

So linux software raid will work...saves me a $100+ dollars.
Grandstream HT488 on the same lines as the Sipura 3000? (thats a good solution thanks)
I am using FIOSTV. I doubt I will be able to get any of the encrypted hd signals. I have an extra line I can split. Wish I could use ant but I am in the middle of nowhere.
It helped a lot. Thank you. I just have to get my finances together.(sell stuff on Ebay)

Best Regards.
Blair

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 07:46:38 am »
We will all be interested in your experience with FIOS. Its a strange hybrid of fiber and cable with the cable signals in cable modulation over fiber (why???) but it works. Good luck with your efforts.

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:08:49 pm »
I don't know anything about the Grandstream Handytone-488 but it didn't get good reviews at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Grandstream+Handytone-488

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:56:19 pm »
I read through the review and my experiences are different, perhaps because I'm using it differently. I connect the WAN port to the network (I have a seperate router/firewall) and occasionally use the lan port to test new LMCE installs. I'm not using the PSTN connection yet. And I have not worked out the ring group or figured out the one in the system yet, so I don't know how to get it to receive calls. A task thats pending. You can't use the LAN side because you can't disable the DHCP server.

LMCE automatically installs and configures it as a phone.

Basically it works and the remaining issues can be resolved. the dialing issue I have not seen. I'll document the settings that work when I next access and can capture them.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 05:48:05 am »
I am very thankful for all of the input. I am working on a limited budget and would hate to make a costly purchase to have it not be compatible. I have heard the Sipura-3000 recommended highly in the places I read about Asterisk and Trixbox.( ie. Nervittles.com ) I am excited about getting everything together and installed. I know its going to be along time getting everything working and just right.

Thanks again for now the build stands at:
Asus M2NPV-VM ($56)
AMD X2 3800 or 4200 depending on how much $. ($70ish)
1gb pc2 6400 ($55)
2 500GB SATA ($200)
LiteOn DVD-RW IDE ($35)

Approx: $416.00  (I have a decent ASUS server case laying around)

Extras:
Kodicomm BT878 card w/120fps (own one and 4 cams that wired and powered already waiting)
Grandstream or Sipura ($100)
Hauppage -500 or HDHomerun (most likely the Haugpauge) ($160)
Dlink BT Dongle (have a 120 (i think) laying around here somewhere.)
CMA11 w/ handful of X-10 devices (own)

Approx: $260.00

.....  $676.00 (I am over budget but worth it to get stuff that works)

Regards,
Blair

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 06:43:05 am »
You forgot to get a USBUIRT and an MCE remote to control the system and your TV. Also don't do it all at once or you will be overwhelmed and potentially discouraged. Take it one piece at a time. There will be a new build in a few days (we all hope) which will be much more stable. Wait for it and make the system work step by step.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 07:14:39 pm »
For what it's worth, I just set up asterisk (under plutoHome) using Grandstream BT 200 phones.
They run about $50 - $60 (US) each. With an additional $30 X100P FXO card, I have inbound and outbound calling to/from the PSTN.

It was a little tricky to get it all working with the PSTN due to zaptel (or lack of) but the phones work fine and are pretty affordable.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:34:22 pm »
@ 1audio - Thanks I will take that under advisement. I like challenges. Hell thats half the fun of Linux in general. I look forward to hearing about the new build. I am going to get the main PC pieces first. Unfortunately I have to wait on a sales incentive to get paid out at work before I can start on the rest. Its going to take at least 2-3 weeks to get the money and everything delivered.

@pixelator - Thank you. I have heard mixed reviews on the x100P's. Most articles I have read have said to use them only for testing.  I like the Digium cards I think they are the TDM400's but I dont want to spend $200. I was looking at maybe doing a couple snom phones.

Again I appreciate all of the input. I will post as much as I can about the setup and FIOSTV once I get it up and running.

Best Regards,
Blair