Author Topic: Inclusion of other useful mythtv plugins....  (Read 19047 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Inclusion of other useful mythtv plugins....
« on: July 17, 2005, 11:57:53 am »
Hi,

I know that there are currently some efforts for VDR functionality.... I'm looking forward to that, but will probably take some time to do it properly with support of all HW, that mythtv is supporting now.... Also, if I understood right, there will be both options for some time active....

Now that we have Remote & Lirc support, there are some Mythtv addons that could be interesting to use, and will quickly enhance Pluto functionlity, particularly those that are yet not implemented under Pluto :

- Mythgallery (photo album viewer app)
- MythPhone (video phone that is reported to work with Asterisk also)
- Mythweb (great web interface to TV guide, recording schedules, etc...)
   quite useful to schedule recordings, ....
- MythWeather (it will show you nice weather forecast on screen)
- MythNews (for reading RSS news all around the world on MD)
- MythBrowser (Internet browser for IR remote on MD)

Majority of plugins can be run as standalone applications (Mythphone could be started directly from  Orbiter gui's Phone entry) - at least that was possible some time ago...

I've tried to install plugins by themselves and there are minor problems with them, cause Pluto uses slightly different ownership settings and user/group for web browser. But I guess they could be maintained with little effort. I'd particularly like to see Mythphone under Pluto cause we have everything else prepared (Asterisk, Lirc ...).

I'm looking forward to any opinions .....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 09:39:25 am »
Hi Rob,

Can you be specific about what Myth settings are changed/wrong?  I can have Radu look into changing the user permissions--I wasn't aware that we had modified them.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:39:52 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
Hi Rob,

Can you be specific about what Myth settings are changed/wrong?  I can have Radu look into changing the user permissions--I wasn't aware that we had modified them.

Hi,

I'm on vacation, but will try to give some more info....

There are two main differences that depend on how do you run 2 applications under Pluto  :

- apache (for mythweb - I think it includes different default user permissions as under Pluto)

- mythtv : mythtv runs as root under Pluto (or am I wrong?) and it records movies that are not accessible from mythweb (via Apache)....

I'll put more info after I get home, but this could be some start. I'm interested in your opinions also, what plugins are useful for inclusion in Pluto.... Positive thing is that they can be run as standalone apps....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 12:15:18 pm »
Hi Rob,

Enjoy your vacation!  I got another message from a Myth user yesterday asking about add-ons.  Admittedly our Myth integration isn't that good.  We don't support the plugins and we the way we control the Myth frontend isn't elegant.  What would really help, though, is to have some support from the Myth team.  With VDR it seems there's interest from their developers.  So together we can do a lot since they know VDR well and we know Pluto well.  But in Myth's case we're isolated.  So maybe if some of our users tell the Myth guys they want this integration then we can get a Myth developer guru to work with us and improve the integration.

Aaron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 12:41:15 pm »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
Hi Rob,

Enjoy your vacation!  I got another message from a Myth user yesterday asking about add-ons.  Admittedly our Myth integration isn't that good.  We don't support the plugins and we the way we control the Myth frontend isn't elegant.  What would really help, though, is to have some support from the Myth team.  With VDR it seems there's interest from their developers.  So together we can do a lot since they know VDR well and we know Pluto well.  But in Myth's case we're isolated.  So maybe if some of our users tell the Myth guys they want this integration then we can get a Myth developer guru to work with us and improve the integration.

Aaron

Hi,

I have a feeling (but could be wrong) that there won't be much interest from mythtv comunity about that - similar happens if someone wants to integrate mythtv into another projects... But there are some positive things. I'm pretty sure that mythtv plugins can be used as standalone apps (running like "mythtv mythnews") and they can be integrated without frontend overhead ( at least that was situation some time ago)...

I'm also pretty optimistic, that some plugin authors will be happy to colaborate (specially mythphone - for video phone would be useful)....

I will contact him and see what comes up....

What is current status and plan for video phone feature? Is linphone ready to do that or miles away ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:09:57 pm »
It's hard to say about Linphone.  It *does* work--I saw it for about 15 seconds before it crashed.   :lol: Maybe there's just 1 bug that can be fixed in 10 minutes, maybe there's something majorly wrong that will take a year to fix.  The hard part is we had to deviate from the Linphone project so much to get it to work that we can no longer stay curent with Linphone's progress.  It would be nice if our changes could be integrated with Linphone's so we could use teh same source tree.