Author Topic: Some ideas  (Read 5353 times)

linux-hal

• View Profile
Some ideas
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:51:05 pm »
I would like MCE to be able to handle the door bell, door locks, door keycards and number codes.

Imagen you would watch tv over linux mce, and then the door bell sounds... Linux mce would pop up a web cam image from the frond door on your tv, and you could talk to the person or you would be able to open the door right from your tv.

Or imagen, you are not there, someone would be at your door, he pushes the door bell button and Linux mce would tell him that noone is there but he could leave a massage (or even video massage if you got a camera there)

About keycards number codes e.t.c. would it be nice if linux mce could make a log, who entered when at witch door. (big brother is watching you, I know, but who knows when a function like that could be handy).

What do you think ?
oli
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:58:07 pm by linux-hal »

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Some idears
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:51:13 am »
All this is certainly possible and fits in with the design of linuxMCE.

The basic design of the software is that everything electronic is a device or can be represented by a software device. These are all configured heirarchically so that Parent devices can handle things for their children. Each device then has handlers for events that can occur. In response to these events they can send commands to other devices.

The messages between the devices all go through a centralised router that runs on the CORE.

So everything you have mentioned is certainly possible with the current version of software that exists now. You may need to create some new devices but these are not overly difficult and may already even exist.

The potential is even there for you front door security camera to stream images of the person at the door directly to your mobile, where you can press a button to let them in.

Go through the scenarios shown at plutohome.com (which is the software that this project was developed from)

Regards
Darren

linux-hal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:56:45 pm »
uuuh, have a look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZcxYUlHZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vW86mSXAaA

and what about speech control ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqK5cxdMar4

could be an inspiration for some futur linux mce features, no?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:19:01 pm by linux-hal »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:16 pm »
uuuh, have a look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZcxYUlHZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vW86mSXAaA

www.majitek.com

could be an inspiration for some futur linux mce features, no?

I'm sorry but I don't see anything in those glossy sales videos that LinuxMCE couldn't do with a bunch of expensive hardware and a slicker UI.  Thanks for wasting my time.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

linux-hal

• View Profile
Re: Some ideas
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:22:24 pm »
Linux mce can' t open doors or lock door as far as I know, it also can' t recognize people/number plates and also no speech control e.t.c.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:34:45 pm »
Linux mce can' t open doors or lock door as far as I know, it also can' t recognize people/number plates and also no speech control e.t.c.

That only shows how much you know.  And as far as recognizing speech, people and number plates go, that should all be possible as well with some extra development. 

Personally I couldn't care less about those features as they will never work flawlessly anyway, but if you think they are so important then why don't you just buy one of their systems?  And what e.t.c. b.t.w?
-- Anonymous

linux-hal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:45:17 pm »
Why are you so provocative ?  I just did some suggestions, there is no need to attack me personally.
You would lose less of your valuable time if you would not go into argumentations like that and would simple ignore the stuff you are not interested in.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:05:46 pm »
Why are you so provocative ?  I just did some suggestions, there is no need to attack me personally.
You would lose less of your valuable time if you would not go into argumentations like that and would simple ignore the stuff you are not interested in.

I'm not sure, why are you making suggestions to improve a system you obviously don't know the first thing about?  Have you even tried installing it yourself yet? 
-- Anonymous