Author Topic: Newbie to Media Centers etc. - Hardware question.  (Read 3904 times)

scar0x

• First post!
    • View Profile
Newbie to Media Centers etc. - Hardware question.
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:47:34 pm »
Hi All.

I just bought a new house and i thought whilst i am doing some DIY around the house i would like to automate my home as much as possible.

I am hoping to achive the following:

* A Main Server conneted to the internet - Managing all the media/Incoming and outgoing connections (24H uptime) (Linux box)
* Having Media centers (running LinuxMCE) sitting in the house connected to the main media server (with decent enough hardware) - Cat5e with a GigaBit Switch
   (i will be getting those kinda decent looking MediaCenter Cases)

* Have Nokia Internet tablets connected to the media Centers to be able to control them? or some other sort?
* Maybe use X10 for lighting control in the house
* CCTV cameras
* Webcam/s

Now I have been reading about various stuff over the past few days. And tried various things.

Question:

Has anyone complied a up-to-date Hardware list - which is compatible with LinuxMCE / Ubuntu /Kubuntu?
I mean motherboards/Graphic cards/network cards(wired or wireless)/TV cards(HD)/IR cards/Remote controls etc?

Can anyone recommend any sort of hardware or a thread?

People who have installed LinuxMCE and have it working - What hardware is it based on?

Any recommendations? Or any more links for me to read?

I would like to build a test machine and see if it works - if it does then i will be spending quite a bit "dosh" to make it available in everyroom in the house - with a decent sound system installed.

Thanks in advance.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie to Media Centers etc. - Hardware question.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:34:46 pm »
Well there's a start in the wiki:

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Category:Hardware

Actually several of them...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie to Media Centers etc. - Hardware question.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:07 am »
The short answer-
1) Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard (Use the onboard graphics- set it to 128 MB. Update the firmware to 0707.) ($60)
2) Dual core AMD processor
3) 512 MB for a client, 1GB for a core/ Hybrid
4) A generic Realtek for a second NIC if you need it.
5) 160 GB HDD is around $80 or less 500 GB can be had for around $100
6) Case big enough for all of this.

You will also need the accessories to make it useful like USBUIRT, IR remote or Gyro Remote etc.

The above hardware will work, its all well tested.