Author Topic: Anyone Successfully using HDHomeRun?  (Read 4593 times)

miracleman12

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Anyone Successfully using HDHomeRun?
« on: July 06, 2007, 03:32:28 am »
Has anyone successfully setup a HDHomeRun?

After tinkering with it for most of the day I have not been able to get the channel scan to work. Also when I start MythTV I get a message that all inputs are in use for recording.

If anyone has successfully set this up I would appreciate a few tips.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Successfully using HDHomeRun?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 05:40:25 pm »
I have been using one since November with the system.

First make sure its working and getting stations using the Windows application and VLC. Make sure the firmware is current etc. There are instructions at the following link for Linux fans w/o Windows computers (more commitment than I'm capable of)

Then the setup I used is documented on their site- follow it exactly as though you are using just Myth. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun is really good, but read it carefully and don't get the digital cable confused with the off air settings. Digital cable is hard to get use from since many cable systems have most digital channels scrambled (even though they are not supposed to be). However I get 24 digital channels off my antenna and the quality is better than the cable digital channels (less compression).

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:25:18 pm »
I had problems scanning, use the mythbuntu fixes verision It worked for me.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds

Good luck

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

miracleman12

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:53 pm »
Thanks for these suggestions. I will give these a go. I am building a new test box with different hardware which will improve my chances of getting the LinuxMCE working. This is a great project and I hope it bares fruit.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:28 pm »
I'm expecting my HDHomeRun to be delivered today.  I'll let you if\when I get it working.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »
I installed my HDHomeRun last night.  I connected 2 digital cable feeds, plugged it into router and turned it on.  LinuxMCE detected it right away and asked me if I wanted to install the device.  I said yes.  It then proceeded to do a channel scan.  After the scan (10 minutes), it prompted me to select a service provider.  I accidentally skipped this step.  I then manually ran the mythTV setup and associated my DigitalCable video source with the HDHomerun tuners.  I fired up live TV and it worked.  Very simple to setup and the quality is very good.  I've been having tons of issues with my Avermedia A180 card, and the HDHomeRun looks much better.  All in all I'm very impressed with this tuner and with the LMCE integration.  I would highly recommend the HDHomeRun to anyone.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:23:54 pm by cckrobinson »

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:50 am »
I got my HDhomerun last night and it installed without a problem on my MD, and I was able to get it running on my WinXP system as well as my MacMini (elgato software).  It runs great on all but the Media director with LinuxMCE.  I wonder if it is because my media director is an amd athlon 3000 I think, but it has 2gb ram, with a ATI All in wonder 8600 I believe.  I have been having slight issues as it was with that media director, but I was wondering if anyone else is having these issues. I was trying to salvage old computers for new uses, but I think I may just have to hunker down and get some new components.

any thoughts?
ALex

I installed my HDHomeRun last night.  I connected 2 digital cable feeds, plugged it into router and turned it on.  LinuxMCE detected it right away and asked me if I wanted to install the device.  I said yes.  It then proceeded to do a channel scan.  After the scan (10 minutes), it prompted me to select a service provider.  I accidentally skipped this step.  I then manually ran the mythTV setup and associated my DigitalCable video source with the HDHomerun tuners.  I fired up live TV and it worked.  Very simple to setup and the quality is very good.  I've been having tons of issues with my Avermedia A180 card, and the HDHomeRun looks much better.  All in all I'm very impressed with this tuner and with the LMCE integration.  I would highly recommend the HDHomeRun to anyone.