Author Topic: Xanura / A10  (Read 3642 times)

logrus

• View Profile
Xanura / A10
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:09:55 am »
This is a repost from Pluto forums but I'm reposting it here as there seems to be more traffic here and linuxMCE and Pluto seems pretty interchangable.

I've been looking at various HA solutions for a while now and Pluto seems to fit most of my requirements so that's probably what I'm going to go with.

The difficult point seems to be what hardware solution to go for. X10 seems to be well supported, but I hear about a lot of problems with it, some are US (110V) only so they're right out (I'm in the Netherlands atm). Some are simply not supported by Pluto yet which would make me have to re-evaluate software solution.

My current favorite is A10 devices from Xanura. They seem well built and the A10 spec seems to be a good improvement on the X10 spec, addressing most of the issues I've noticed. I am however not sure it's supported by Pluto, or whether it would be a big effort to support it. According to the material I've seen it should be X10 compatible, but I assume that is on the databus side, not pc interface. I've had a look at the documentation and the serial interface looks very straight forward (and as far as I know could be compatible with X10 interfaces).

Could someone in the know comment on whether this is supported or whether it would be difficult to implement support?

Cheers,
Tor Magnus

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Xanura / A10
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:22 pm »
flew over the specification, adding support should be straight forward. You may want to look at ddamron's GSD Insteon device. At the moment we are adding support for PLCBUS (also a 220V/50hz powerline solution with plenty of devices).

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:48 am »
heh, Harry beat me to the punch..
I too looked it over..
I'm in the process of writing a 'protocol independant' GSD HA device..

it's first use will be in the PLCBUS integration.. (which, I might add is coming along nicely)

Once that is finished, it'll be a matter of cut and paste...

Regards,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

logrus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:06 am »
Yeah, I've had a look at PLCBUS as well, buy I couldn't get a clear view of advantages and disadvantages with it. Hadn't spotted the GSD stuff before I guess that should make it easy to write a device specific handler for the A10 devices.

I'm still a few months away from actually implementing any of this. My plan involves buying a few devices to start playing around with, but to be honest, it's getting harder and harder to actually select any of these competing - sometimes partly cooperating - standards...