Author Topic: Just a mad thought!  (Read 3848 times)

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Just a mad thought!
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:32:47 am »
While looking at the list of compatable equipment I had a mad thought! If I where to buy the Apex Alarm system in the good ol US of A would it work here in cold and wet Dublin? Obvious power differences aside would it work? Could I finally stop skipping the security aspects of this great system? How I would love to arm my alarm system via LMCE I need to get a life!!

I wonder what compatable equipment that is State side would work here when power issues were sorted?

Thanks for your help and info.

Pual

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Just a mad thought!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:40:07 pm »
There are I believe three constraints to using hardware from another part of the world.
1) Import restrictions like safety approvals, fortress europe (similar exist in China, Korea and some other places).
2) AC Power, but in this case its only a supply issue. They may run off a wall wart making it even easier.
3) RF for an radio interfaces or links. These are the hardest to overcome. The EU has different bands allowed for what is called unlicensed operation from the US. The US wireless products will conflict and be potentially illegal to operate. You may not have an issue, but you may.

Other than those you may well be able to bring a system in and use it. Check the LMCE boards and the Plutohome boards for references to European security systems which may be locally available that some intrepid user has already interfaced.

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:58:23 pm »
Hi 1audio

Thanks for the information I will indeed look up any sources of european equipment. How well does LMCE control a compatable alarm system? Is it worth the expense and hassle? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:24:50 pm »
In theory, the modular nature of LMCE would allow you to add an LMCE Interface for a security system with a standard (rs232) interface with some fairly simple programming.  In practice, I think the alarm system is one of the modules that the pluto guys didn't concentrate on as much as, say media streaming functionality, so it might be a little more concentrated.  If you wanted to find a system with an interface and give it a shot, I'm sure there would be people here willing to help you get it working.