Author Topic: Better Media Organization / Browser  (Read 56071 times)

andy90

• View Profile
Re: Better Media Organization / Browser
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:19 pm »
I have it another thread but think thats in the wrong place so posting here.

+1 for folder layout instead of all files in one place.

Sorry thom but i disagree completely, its not an edge its usability, ever wanted to watch something but you dont know what? nothing beats going through folders just browsing, not searching for a string.  Also I have a few gig of films, many films come as two parts, so straight off the film list is doubled, which means loads of scrolling when just looking, and on an older PC it doesnt scroll very well.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 08:21:25 pm »
we can go back and forth on this one...but the truth of the matter is, folders are essentially a band-aid, when you have the ability to zero in by real metadata instead of creating fixed points of heirarchy. You're just feeling chapped because you don't want to actually tag your data.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 08:22:45 pm »
so if you really want it.. click on view by Filename. If you're not happy, modify your version of the code. OR LEAVE.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 09:04:20 pm »
I have it another thread but think thats in the wrong place so posting here.

+1 for folder layout instead of all files in one place.

Sorry thom but i disagree completely, its not an edge its usability, ever wanted to watch something but you dont know what? nothing beats going through folders just browsing, not searching for a string.  Also I have a few gig of films, many films come as two parts, so straight off the film list is doubled, which means loads of scrolling when just looking, and on an older PC it doesnt scroll very well.

Try sorting by filename instead of title.

ffs. +1 for people learning how to read.  ::)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 09:08:30 pm »
andy90: as for files coming in two parts etc.....also, why don't you STOP pirating films off bittorrent, or better yet, concatenate the files together?

"What do you mean I have to index my 50,000,000 bits of pirated media?"

Funny, I imported all my legal store bought media into LinuxMCE, and everything has covers, indexed authors, directors, genres, and guess what? I don't need folders! *GASP!*

I have over a thousand movies in my library, and twice that in my CD collection that i have imported in, and I am able to very quickly find what i'm looking for.

-Thom

jca

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 11:30:09 pm »
I have terrabytes of data and one of the main reason's I'm migrating form mythtv is the vastly superior media browser in linuxmce.

Greg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 02:08:59 am »
Ok, maybe someone can help me figure out how to use filters to get what I want.
I'm dealing with TV Recordings, but also Movies.

For my TV Recordings, I've set the Title attribute to be the show title (e.g. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" ).
I set the Episode attribute to be the episode title (e.g. "Go to Hell", "The Case of the Cross-Dressing Carp", "The Chick Chop Flick Shop", "Who & What", "Goodbye and Good Luck" ).
I set the Release Date attribute to the first aired date, ("2007 10 11", "2007 10 18", "2007 11 1", "2007 11 8", "2007 11 15")
I also set a brief description.

When I want to watch TV shows, I want to see a list of the unique show titles, but just one for each show.  Once I select one, I want to see a list of the Episodes for that show, sorted by Release Date.

Now please explain how I can do something like that in the UI.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 02:32:53 am »
We should be able to filter via epsiode name, yes... and that is something I want as well, so it will make it in!

While the system isn't perfect, the issues with dealing with TV episodes will be fixed soon, even if I have to do them.

-Thom

andy90

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 06:32:47 pm »
I have over a thousand movies in my library, and twice that in my CD collection that i have imported in, and I am able to very quickly find what i'm looking for.

Exactly my point, you know what you are looking for.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 07:14:54 pm »
and if I don't?

gee... I filter by Genres, because I usually have a cloudy idea of what i'm looking for.....

or maybe I want to watch all my Kubrick films.....

your argument
does not
hold
water.

-Thom

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 11:11:14 pm »
so if you really want it.. click on view by Filename. If you're not happy, modify your version of the code. OR LEAVE.

-Thom

are you always this pissy? Seriously, its feature requests. So fracking sorry if we ask for a better way to access the content. Didnt realize it was your way or the highway. And in the future, maybe you shouldn't accuse other users of being thieves.

And seriously, do you have to spend your time pooping on ideas for improvement? It seems more productive work can be done besides calling people thieves and telling them its 'this way or the highway'. Why do you think we ARENT using windows  ::)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 11:35:38 pm »

-Thom

are you always this pissy? Seriously, its feature requests. So fracking sorry if we ask for a better way to access the content. Didnt realize it was your way or the highway. And in the future, maybe you shouldn't accuse other users of being thieves.

And seriously, do you have to spend your time pooping on ideas for improvement? It seems more productive work can be done besides calling people thieves and telling them its 'this way or the highway'. Why do you think we ARENT using windows  ::)

It would probably help if people stopped suggesting the same thing (over and over again) that is already available and learned how to use the system properly.  Excuse tschak909 for pointing that out, it is getting rather annoying and there is no need to try and get under his skin about it.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 08:44:06 pm »
we can go back and forth on this one...but the truth of the matter is, folders are essentially a band-aid, when you have the ability to zero in by real metadata instead of creating fixed points of heirarchy. You're just feeling chapped because you don't want to actually tag your data.

-Thom

What is the best way of tagging my media files. Other than re-ripping it  using Linuxmce.

Amarok seems do a lot better recognizing my media library.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:48:00 pm by tkmedia »
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:35 pm »
I want to work on a replacement media manager for the web admin..but that will come after I finish my mame plugin work.

-Thom

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »
Any suggestions in the mean time??   My library has picked up a couple of album covers and assigned them to almost all my music that was ripped with software other than Linuxmce.  Also I have a bunch of flac files downloaded from archives.org   (Live concerts mainly), any Ideas on how to best tag and organize these files.

Thanks

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/