Author Topic: Better Media Organization / Browser  (Read 56058 times)

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Better Media Organization / Browser
« on: June 23, 2007, 12:05:30 am »
Putting all the media from my network into 1 single list just doesn't cut it for me. For one, now I have to rename all of my media, as I already have it stored such as:
\\NAS\tv\Series Name\### - Episode Title.avi
where ### is the season/episode number

If I could tag each avi as a particular series and then sort that way, sort by sub folders, or do pretty much anything other than the current setup, it would be much better.

RGoolsby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Better Media Organization / Browser
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:18:25 pm »
I agree, I have 100s upon 100s of gigs of everything from music videos, to movies, to television series, and I wish there was a directory system to make it easier to interact.  (without searching) 

Any advice?

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:21:44 pm »
Hi,

not sure if this will  be of any help, but this feature exist in quite limited way. You can go into Video, then Options and select Filename at the top and then your directories will appear and you can browse them. It seems that it only remembers that setting for one Orbiter session.

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

PowrrrPlay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 04:44:19 pm »
I would think that if the media was stored within the DB an not in a flat file system you could have these types of features.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:04 am »
I would think that if the media was stored within the DB an not in a flat file system you could have these types of features.

...No this would actually be counter productive as the database is only on one server, whereas you can have media on several servers. Not to mention the fact that it would be much slower.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:56:06 am »
come on, guys. You have filters.. ____USE THEM___ !!

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 03:10:50 am »
so, you're talking about adding an additional layer of UI complexity just to satisfy your little edge case? nice. um, no.

-Thom

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 05:39:09 am »
Actually, I agree that the media organinaztion needs work. For example, I have 5 recordings of the same series in MythTV, just different episodes, LinuxMCE handles this by repeating the Series name 5 times... not cool... Also I have some a lot of permanently saved series recordings organized by Series/Season/Episode Number - Episode Name.Extension, because they are all tv shows they all show up with the rest of the Myth recordings and only display Episode Number - Episode Name... again not cool...

It's not just his certain setup that requires a change in how this is handled. Just about everyone with a lot of media has this problem... There are better ways of doing this, but it would most likely require database changes and Rolodex type of UI, kind of like MythTV has for its recordings. You wouldn't need too many changes, just the ability to have multiple levels of search. For example, lets say the UI looks just like it is now, only that one incantation of the Series name would be displayed, then upon selecting that Series name the menu you are currently working with gets pushed over to the left and a new one is created to the right that lists all the Episodes for that Series. This can be expanded to suit the needs of all.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:11:16 am »
Actually I am quite happy with having all movies in a single place.
The trouble comes with TV series, here I would like the option to sort by [series]->[season]->Episodes

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:13:41 pm »
Try sorting by filename instead of title.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:39 pm »
That is all well and good, but you still get a BUNCH of TV recordings jamming up the "Movies display"

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 04:48:09 pm »
I actually consolidate TV series onto DVD images (which can be a bit bigger than an actual DVD.), so that they don't jam up the media display.

-Thom

lucidus.nox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:28 pm »
I agree, the media browser needs some help when it comes to having tons of TV episodes in your collection. Sorting by Filename is really the only way that it becomes usable. Is there any way for me to make sort by filename the default behavior?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:08:49 am »
It would help tons if what I put into "public/data/tv series"  actually shows up under TV series and not among my DVDs/movies

CrafyZA

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • my2wheels
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »
While we are on this topic. Im am rather happy with most of how it works now. the filters work great, but perhaps some more filters will work.
For instance:
I have roughly about 40K mp3 files.
Database has populated with all of this.
BUT:
When I add a new movie, and add the attributes it gets a little slow.
Genre and title specific. If i click the attribute Title, it populates the combo/dropdown box with every single title from my music collection. Same with Genre.
It would be much better if you can have a parent level, for instance audio or video, and then have parent specific attributes. so if you select audio, the dropdown will only display titles or genres from media that is audio, and then the same goes for video.
MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe
CPU   :AMD 64 Athalon 3500
RAM   : 1.5 GB Ram
GPU   : Nvidia 6600GT
PVR   : Leadtek Winfast XP2000
Bluetooth dongle for orbitor software on Nokia 6600
This setup works like a charm! Maybe just a little more ram ;-)