Author Topic: Multi-WAN, anyone??  (Read 4284 times)

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Multi-WAN, anyone??
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:24:54 am »
My current setup = 1x DSL modem (7M/856K) AND 1x Cable modem (6M/512K) -> pfSense (currently 2.0alpha) firewall / router, and set up for load-balancing and fail-over -> 4-port switch -> LMCE Hybrid -> a few MD's, VoIP router, etc...  As well, from the same switch, I run a PXE-Image server, primarily tasked with drive-imaging and bench-testing systems...

I can't imagine how lovely it would be, to be able to completely remove the pfSense system, and have LMCE handle my Multi-WAN routing, as pfSense does!

Any interest, here?  It's truly beautiful, to see 12M down / 1.2M up, COMPLETELY FLOODED by torrents, and make a nearly flawless VoIP call, at the same time!! ;D

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-WAN, anyone??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:00:05 pm »
Personally I'd rather do, what you already have.  That is keep the router seperate from LinuxMCE. There are all sorts of network connections that it is possible to have now, and in the future.  I see absolutely no reason to have LinuxMCE developers tied up supporting them.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:48:34 pm »
Basically, my point of view is this:

* If you know what you're doing..and you actually know what's going on underneath, then do what you want to do.

However, We can't support it. So I will repeat this once more.

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

Our only interest is in providing the functionality we are implementing out of the box, and not requiring to be a geek with pocket protectors, horn rimmed glasses, and an anti-social streak to use it.

-Thom

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:48:38 pm »
Personally I'd rather do, what you already have.  That is keep the router seperate from LinuxMCE. There are all sorts of network connections that it is possible to have now, and in the future.  I see absolutely no reason to have LinuxMCE developers tied up supporting them.
I can see, and to some greater extent agree with this perspective.  But, too frequently, when this sort of separation of router (or any other piece) from LMCE is mentioned, the response is typically something along the lines of -> Leave it alone, let LMCE do it all, quit reinventing the wheel, etc.

I am quite happy with my network remaining in it's current state.  Just thought it might be nice, since the firewall, DHCP and PXE servers, and other related features are already included, to add in one other, that would make it possible to eliminate an additional system (in my case anyhow) from the network / household power-grid...

Basically, my point of view is this:

* If you know what you're doing..and you actually know what's going on underneath, then do what you want to do.

However, We can't support it. So I will repeat this once more.

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

Our only interest is in providing the functionality we are implementing out of the box, and not requiring to be a geek with pocket protectors, horn rimmed glasses, and an anti-social streak to use it.

-Thom

My apologies, Thom...  It seems, again, that an idea and/or inquiry for interest has been mistaken for a request for YOU, PERSONALLY, to make it happen for me, and make it your first priority.  I have read, and re-read my own posting, looking for how you might've gotten that idea, or how I might've deserved the horribly insulting / condescending response that I feel as if I received.

I try to post what I believe might be valuable contribution, either in documenting steps I've taken and the results I received, or as in this case, ideas I think might be valuable to others.  From this point forward, I may just try not to post at all, as this seems to be the normal pattern of reply, of late.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:26:06 am »
I'm sorry, to make you think this is the intention.

It's just boiled up frustration.....

I am not against any changes in use case...only that if people wish to try to increase the use case scenarios that they would put in the time and code to make it possible....

It really boils down to:

* this is what we intend to do
* this is the requirements to do this out of the box.

It's all about what we intend to support from a scope perspective, and a consistent system architecture that allows us to support this....

so really...

if you know what you're doing, then cool...

but if you go off on you're own to do something different, then the possibilities of us supporting this, exponentially increase.

-Thom