Author Topic: Application Size and Position  (Read 3930 times)

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Application Size and Position
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:22:53 am »
I have an nVidia GeForce 5700 card with DVI output and a Sanyo HD CRT TV with DVI input. The caveat is that the DVI input is "not for use with computer."

What this means is that regardless of what resolution the xserver is set at, the TV always overscans HORRIBLY leave the top, bottom, left and right non-visible. I'm pretty sure I could use S-Video or Composite, but DVI looks much much crisper on this display and I'm already using those other inputs.

When I had MythTV installed on this box I was able to set a GUI size and position option in the MythTV config. This allowed me to set the resolution to 800x600, which seems to look the best, and then set the size and position so my GUI filled the screen perfectly. MythTV also allowed me to specify the commandline passed to mplayer, and I was able to add options to the same effect.

Is it possible to do these things with LinuxMCE? Also, do the newer graphics cards support DVI compatible with TVs, or are the newer TVs just accepting standard PC display resolutions?

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Application Size and Position
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:14:34 am »
I was able to fix the GUI portion of this through the LMCE WebInterface. From the "Orbiters" wizard, I found the machine I was having problems with. On the Under the "Advanced" button I could change "Reduce size by %" and Offset. A reduction of 15% did it, and I had to shift the display to the left by 25 pixels, so "25,0" was my correct offset. To view the changes I had to go back to orbiters and do a "Quick Regen"

Unfortunately the Xine movie player still shows up improperly. I need to find where LMCE sets the Xine command line so I can modify it to fit on the screen properly. Anyone know how to do this?

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Application Size and Position
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 02:31:54 am »
Once I could see the full onscreen menu (by doing the above) I was able to goto Advanced: Advanced: Video/Audio Setup.

I set the resolution I found to work best, then was eventually given the option to use the arrow and +/- keys to center the display as well as zoom in and out. Unfortunately, the best Zoom level left narrow black bars across the top and bottom of the screen (why can't it just let horiz and vert resize??). Also, the centering is broken in that I can't more far enough to the right for it to be centered on my screen.

These steps, however, did affect the video playback, unlike the above attempt. However, these steps would have been next to impossible without first doing the above as I couldn't see the menu buttons at all.