Author Topic: Linuxmce on a xen enviroment  (Read 4905 times)

KingCrab

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Linuxmce on a xen enviroment
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:34 pm »
Is it possible to have a linuxmce core running on a xen machine?
Is the linuxmce kernel modified in any way?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Linuxmce on a xen enviroment
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:11:11 am »
xen emulates a virtual machine like vmware. i don't know exactly if kubuntu/linuxmce will work in xen. also, the kernel is not modified.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

tirili

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:01:52 am »

Kitagua

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 12:27:47 pm »
I would like to use LMCE in a Xen environment too but i think there will be problems to access graphic hardware if lmce is installed as a domU. I know you can forward pci hardware from dom0 to a domU (if it is a para-virtualized domU) but i was already searching for existing working systems and did only find a few ones but without detailed description about if and how it works. For the moment i want to install lmce in dom0 because i really want to try lmce. Maybe later if i successfully exported a graphic card to another domU i will change it. Or maybe someone of you already got it working ? However the first thing i need is a working download link for lmce1.1 beta2. ...
Ciao
Kitagua

KingCrab

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:54:31 pm »
I haven't tried it yet, but wouldn't it be possible to run a linuxmce core without any kde or even x?

KingCrab

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:51:54 pm »
My first steps getting linuxmce on a xen enviroment are done. I've a running vmware image with xen kernel and without x/kde, but a few things at startup make me wondering.

- "init: pluto main process (4068) terminated with status 127"
- "/usr/pluto/bin/Config_Ops.sh: 5: [[: not found  /usr/pluto/bin/LockUtils.sh: 5: [[: not found /usr/pluto/bin Config_Ops: 34: Syntax error: Bad for loop variable"
- at shutdown "mythserver backend no backend running found"

Any ideas if these are important or how to fix them?

tirili

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:06:22 pm »
The config_ops.sh error occurs because (k)ubuntu has /bin/sh -> dash (instead of bash). If you change the scripts to be interpreted by bash or  change the symbolic link, then this error doesnt occur. dash does not know bash syntax [[ .... ]]

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:01:29 pm »
The scripts alread have "#!/bin/bash" as the first line, I noticed them too a while back the best fix (and only real option) is to link /bin/sh to bash.  Somehow the ubuntu developers feel they should save a few seconds/bytes at the expense of everyone else, so they justify this using some lame and dusty posix standard (that nobody really cares about anyway) as an excuse.  Not to mention the lies and nonsense about it on some dash propagande page in their wiki.

Code: [Select]
ln -sf bash /bin/sh

I think there is another way to do this using the package management, this link could be "restored" during an upgrade.  I'll cross that bridge when it happens, my fix wil likely be to get rid of this dash abomination altogether on my system.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous