Author Topic: Can Pluto and LMCE Orbiters coexist on WinXP ?  (Read 4854 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Can Pluto and LMCE Orbiters coexist on WinXP ?
« on: June 19, 2007, 09:13:17 pm »
Hi,

I have one Pluto and one LMCE system, but I can't run Orbiters for both systems on my laptop with win xp.

if I try to install LMCE Orbiter it complains that it is already installed, if I run Pluto's Orbiter with LMCE ID and IP, it just freezes for infinite time.

Anyone with more success ?

Regards,

Rob.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

edandanumber

• View Profile
Re: Can Pluto and LMCE Orbiters coexist on WinXP ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:18:29 am »
it would make sense that you can't...

There might be a way to create different installation instances by not using the installer.

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:08 am »
You should try using web orbiters instead of XP orbiters.

Here are the steps for creating a new web orbiter:
From Web-Admin page:
1. Go to Advanced -> Configuration -> Devices
2. Press "Add a top Level Device" . A a description like "Web Orbiter"
3.Press "Pick Device Template" . An Pop-Up Windows will appear.
4.Select from the Device Template drop-down the "Generic Web Device" and press "Pick Device Template"
5.After the new Device is created, expand it by pressing the "+" sign and click on the "Generic Proxy Orbiter"
6.Select the room for this orbiter, generally the Core room will be a good choice, then press SAVE
7.Do a "Quick Router Reload" from Wizard -> Restart
8.Type in the address bar of the Browser : http://LinuxMCE_ip/pluto-admin/weborbiter.php

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:24:19 am »
Rob,

I can't offer you much help, although I can see no reason why it shouldn't work if you can somehow tell it a different device ID and core IP.
The core will generate an Orbiter interface for a particular device ID that will only work with that Core, so if you do that on each core then as long as you can tell it the Core IP (Which you can) and the device ID (which is the bit I can't remember) then there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Is this what you have tried?

On a side note, how have you set up your two cores? Different subnets using different hubs/switches? Is one of them still acting as a gateway? Is DHCP still running on both?

I assume you are running both as an evaluation to see which to proceed with, is this correct?

The web orbiter is definately an option, but it is a pain to use with the way it refreshes.

On another side note, the Windows XP orbiter works under Wine on Ubuntu 7.04. Although, it does seem a bit silly to be running a windows emulated version of what is a predominately linux product. But if anyone else has managed to just run a linux Orbiter then I would be keen to hear, I had no luck. (Note, the machine does not have linuxMCE installed, this is my everyday desktop at home)

Darren

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:07:09 am »
Rob,

I can't offer you much help, although I can see no reason why it shouldn't work if you can somehow tell it a different device ID and core IP.
The core will generate an Orbiter interface for a particular device ID that will only work with that Core, so if you do that on each core then as long as you can tell it the Core IP (Which you can) and the device ID (which is the bit I can't remember) then there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Is this what you have tried?
Exactly.

On a side note, how have you set up your two cores? Different subnets using different hubs/switches? Is one of them still acting as a gateway? Is DHCP still running on both?

I assume you are running both as an evaluation to see which to proceed with, is this correct?

Darren
Yeap, but I don't see how DHCP would influence my tests, cause I set them to existing ip and ID.

Regards,

Rob.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:24:30 pm »
Hi,

I have one Pluto and one LMCE system, but I can't run Orbiters for both systems on my laptop with win xp.

if I try to install LMCE Orbiter it complains that it is already installed, if I run Pluto's Orbiter with LMCE ID and IP, it just freezes for infinite time.

Anyone with more success ?

Regards,

Rob.

Unlike other posters I submit that "it would make sense that you can" since LMCE is just a newer revision of Pluto then what is released in the latest Pluto binary. Are you running the 2.0.0.44 Orbiter on the Pluto side since there was an issue between recent revisions that caused a hang when connecting to newer backends. Outside of that I would manually uninstall the Pluto orbiter and use the LMCE Pluto orbiter since it is what will most likely become 2.0.0.45 for Pluto and may very well work with a 2.0.0.44 Pluto install.