Author Topic: LinuxMCE Networking Fails During Install  (Read 3992 times)

edandanumber

• View Profile
LinuxMCE Networking Fails During Install
« on: June 16, 2007, 01:14:48 am »
LinuxMCE seems to totally mess up networking during the install. It will take 24 hours or so, but it will install as long as you do an update first, then it will try every repository over and over again for each package it would like to check for updates on.

There needs to be something to address this. I think the best option is not to mess with networking during the install, but perhaps run a post install script or something. Also, a better packaging strategy overall might be to package all the binaries in a single disc or series of discs, and allow an updater to run after the install, or to simply set up a repo and have a "you get everything" meta package, and also allow users to download individual packages. The installer actually makes it much more difficult for "real" linux users, and if it snags there's pretty much no way to walk dummy users through it =)

My two cents.

dale3h

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Networking Fails During Install
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:34:02 am »
For others that are having this problem (I assume you fixed it since you're a Linux guru):

To prevent it from fubar'ing your networking during install, try killing the network manager before install:

Get the process IDs to kill:

Code: [Select]
ps -A | grep Network
Then kill each process by it's PID (run this twice, replacing <PID HERE> with each PID, one at a time):

kill <PID HERE>
Then restart your network:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Then install LinuxMCE! Using this method shouldn't require applying updates prior to LinuxMCE installation:

1) Install and boot Kubuntu Feisty
2) Kill network manager
3) Restart network manager
4) Install LinuxMCE

edandanumber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 03:44:51 am »
Not a guru, just a "real user" :)

In all seriousness though, I think this is a great project and I didn't want to be overly negative, just provide feedback on other packaging methods that some users (and probably the core audience for this software) would find easier to use.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
also you can use apt-get remove network-manager to uninstall network manager.
Read the F****** Logs!!!