Author Topic: Rendering Orbiter skin #19 - hangs.... :(  (Read 3003 times)

danielmayer

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Rendering Orbiter skin #19 - hangs.... :(
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:59:56 pm »
Hi, all!
First: Beta 2 greatly improved the installation compatibility, after I did not get any installation with one of the older versions... ;)
So:
I installed on a new Asus M2A-VM (w/HDMI, but connected via DVI), Athlon X2EE4200+, 2x1GB RAM, onboard ATI x1250pro graphics. It was the usual tricky thing to install the ATI-drivers ("DRI missing", and all that), but after I got that smooth, the installation routine runs quite fine.... until....
the startup.
When starting "core services", the Launch Manager tries to set up the skins for the Orbiter(s). In the bottom message board, it stands at "Generating skin for Orbiter #19...", and the bar shows either "Rendering screen 5 of 5" or "Rendering screen 245 of 2xx", but doesn't get any further - even after hours...
Any ideas where the problem lies?
Thanks,
Daniel
Server: Ubuntu 10.04A2, 1xL5520 on Asus Z8-PED12X, 12GB, 300GB U320Raid0, 8TB HDDs@Adaptec 2820SA + 8TB@Perc 5/E. LMCE via KVM (running); other VMs;
Workstation: W7x64, 2xOpteron 2376, 24GB, 146 GB-SSD-Raid0, ATI 4850
MD: Asrock nv630i, 2GB

Xenu

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering Orbiter skin #19 - hangs.... :(
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:53:58 pm »
Hi Daniel ,

I too have this issue and have not found a fix.

Can anyone from MCE please point out the purpose of re-rendering all these screens?
The video demo purportes to show a man who "just did a fresh install" and pops his
disk in and away we go.... nothing seems to be further from the truth.....
can anyone please explain why these screens need to keep being re-rendered?!

Does XP MCE re-render itself ? No. Does it take 20 minutes to start up ? No.

danielmayer

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:17:39 pm »
Solved...
Rendering wasn't the problem at all but the network configuration:
When installing LMCE, I had a manually set IP for the access to the internet - which was correctly detected by the installer. After that, the installer wanted to know if a DHCP-server should be set up. Whatever the answer (I had both), the "interfaces" in /etc/network had two different entries for the LAN-port. I just removed one of them and everything is fine.
Perhaps the same problem on your PC?
Greetings,
Daniel
Server: Ubuntu 10.04A2, 1xL5520 on Asus Z8-PED12X, 12GB, 300GB U320Raid0, 8TB HDDs@Adaptec 2820SA + 8TB@Perc 5/E. LMCE via KVM (running); other VMs;
Workstation: W7x64, 2xOpteron 2376, 24GB, 146 GB-SSD-Raid0, ATI 4850
MD: Asrock nv630i, 2GB

Radrim

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:40:48 pm »
Hi !

I'am a real Newbie in Linux and I have te problem describe in this post...

Could explain how to edit the interfaces file  ?

At the startup, i have try to clic on the "edit configuration file" when selecting "/etc/network/interfaces/" in the box named "configuration file", but nothing happend.

Is there an other way to edit this file ?

Thank for your answer...

Radrim