Author Topic: SONOS digital music system  (Read 4860 times)

tthaulow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
SONOS digital music system
« on: June 16, 2007, 06:34:25 pm »
I am considering to buy a Sonos digital music system.
Have anyone tried this on linuxmce? Experiences?

www.sonos.com

Thomas.
amd64, asus A8N-SLI, 2gb ram, 500gb sata ++, nvidia 6800.
TV: Sony KDV-50E2010
nad 761 DD/DTS reciever via SPDIF

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: SONOS digital music system
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 07:05:12 pm »
I believe the SONOS system uses Samba to access music files on a linux box.  I don't believe there is any integration with LinuxMCE.  One alternative that you might consider is Slim Devices (now Logitech) Squeezebox www.slimdevices.com.  The Slimserver software is integrated into LinuxMCE and LinuxMCE allows you to assign devices to rooms and use the media browser interface to access and play music files.  If you want a handheld remote like the Sonos, you can use a Nokia n770 or n800.  Both work with Slimserver, but I believe only the 770 currently works as a full LMCE orbiter.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:23:36 am »
if Sonos is using samba/windows sharing for accessing media files on the PC, then i don't think there is a problem using it with LinuxMCE. but you will not have the possibility to control Sonos from LinuxMCE (i've read that there is a control application that works on Windows or MacOS).
Read the F****** Logs!!!

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:35:41 pm »
Hi,

haven't played with it, but could be usefull to someone. There is web controller for Sonos - open sourced written in
Perl. I guess Sonos Control portion could be easily extracted....

http://www.purple.org/sonos/

I also like Sonos, but my main idea was to use their portable remote for also other home automation stuff not just music, but at that point they didn't show any interest for adding 3rd party controls to their remotes, so I stopped considering it...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tthaulow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:34:26 pm »
Sorry, a a couple of days away (vacation :-)).

FYI:
OK I have installed the SONOS system and I run the music from the LMCE (as a NAS with samba) and it works well. Of course I can not control it from LMCE but I had to offer that to please my wife..... Her patience to the linux-system is rather non-existing for the time beeing. When I get time I will try out the web controller. It would be great to control this through an orbiter.

Thomas
amd64, asus A8N-SLI, 2gb ram, 500gb sata ++, nvidia 6800.
TV: Sony KDV-50E2010
nad 761 DD/DTS reciever via SPDIF