Author Topic: Can I run one Orbiter with UI2 (for TV) and one with UI1 (touchscreen) on hybrid  (Read 3711 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'll have hybrid LMCE in my new house and would like to solve basic media needs with one hybrid system. I'd like to run one Orbiter with UI2 and show it on TV and would also like to run another X session with Orbiter and UI1 that would be shown on house's main touchscreen, from where user would only control devices - no multimedia necessary...

Any hint how this could be done ?

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I have not done this but thinking about it I can't see why it is not possible. You may need to play with some scripts though.
You may not need two XSessions, 2 screens on the same XServer should be OK.
If it will let you add two Onscreen orbiters to one MD you should get two device numbers.

LaunchOrbiter.sh starts the orbiter and could probably be modified to take an optional screen number parameter I would think.
Then add the parameter to the DeviceTemplate for OnscreenOrbiter.
It should still launch all the media on the main screen.

Let us know if you have a go at this as I have thought about the same sort of setup using a cheap ebay touch screen but never done anything about it.

Regards
Darren

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I still didn't make any test in this direction, but since I'm complete newbie regarding Xorg, sessions and inputs devices, I wonder if it's possible to have 2 screens with two input devices (touch USB for touchscreen, and maybe Gyration mouse for another proper onscreen Orbiter).

As far as I remember this was a major pain to do 2-3 years ago, and I wonder if something changed in this area.... Also I'd only need graphics acceleration on screen that would output to TV (Gyration mouse as input device) and no acceleration on touchscreen, where I'd output only UI1 without media feature (plain remote Orbiter).

Anyone with more info in this direction ?

Thanks in advanced,

regards,

Rob.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.