Author Topic: Anyone know how to do an uninstall??  (Read 6592 times)

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Anyone know how to do an uninstall??
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:35:59 pm »
I've reinstalled the Kubuntu way too many times... is there any way to uninstall linuxmce?
what all needs to be removed in order to do a fresh install on the same OS?
SQL Database, Myth Database?

I've tried re-installing on top, that's bad... :)

Thanks ahead of time,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Anyone know how to do an uninstall??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 05:36:30 pm »
Hmmm... i have asked the same question of the developers. Unfortunately the answer is... there is no 'un-install' capability at present in lmce. I can understand why that might be as the roots of the lmce project are Pluto and since Pluto treated the hardware as essentially a 'blackbox' an uninstall capability was not seen as in anyway important. However now with lmce the scenario is different and of course at present an un-install capability would make testing the installer and another beta so much easier than it is at present.

Anyway we'll have to live without un-install for the time being I am afraid.

Andrew

I've reinstalled the Kubuntu way too many times... is there any way to uninstall linuxmce?
what all needs to be removed in order to do a fresh install on the same OS?
SQL Database, Myth Database?

I've tried re-installing on top, that's bad... :)

Thanks ahead of time,

Dan

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

dale3h

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:25:16 am »
The best way to do this would be to image your hard drive right after you setup Kubuntu, then stick that image on a CD, DVD, USB flash driver or something of that nature. That'll allow you to copy the image, then boot directly to the hard drive.

I have yet to do this, and I think I'm on my 10th install of Kubuntu and LinuxMCE now! I got it working great with UI1, but I wasn't very impressed, so I decided to try and step it up to UI2. That was over 4 installs ago.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:09:13 am »
Hehe, well, good to see I'm not the only one asking for that... :)

good idea about the image... will try that...

now that I have it installed, I'm afraid to wipe and re-install...  still have quite a few problems, but it's mostly working...

Dan

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »
There should really be a meta-package that depends on everything required. Then we could just do something like:
"sudo aptitude purge linuxmce; sudo apt-get autoremove", use deborphan, filters in synaptic, etc just like if one is transitioning from Ubuntu to Kubuntu and wants to get rid of all of the crap they don't need anymore.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:13:18 pm »
another reason for an uninstall:  when install fails, (due to whatever, maybe a cable unplugged) then you can uninstall, and retry the installation...

I've had it fail on me AFTER it imports the sql data... an install on top of that duplicates the data, and I ended up with 2 dcerouters, etc.

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:46:06 am »
an install on top of that duplicates the data, and I ended up with 2 dcerouters, etc.

Classic.

Here's what I would do: When you install (K)ubuntu leave maybe 5GB of unpartitioned free space on the end of your HD. This will mean you have to setup the partitions manually, I think. Do an install. I would recommend just a / and swap partition, as it's easier. You can experiment with different/better layouts once you understand the process. (Since LinuxMCE modifies /home, /var, etc each partition would need it's own snapshot volume. Keep reading for this to mean anything ;) )

When (K)ubuntu boots up, enable Universe (and Multiverse?). Install the 'evms-gui' package.

Reboot from the Live CD again. Enable Universe (and Multiverse if you had to before) and install 'evms-gui'
Now, open a terminal and type 'sudo evms-gui'

When EVMS-Gui launches it will show whatever partitions you setup, but instead of /dev/sda1 (etc) they will show up as /dev/evms/sda1 (etc).
Right click on the partition that represents your / partition. Right click it and choose "convert to EVMS volume" Enter a name for the partition, such as "root"

Now right click on your /dev/evms/root partition and choose "Add Features to Volume." Add the "snap shot" feature.

Again, right click /dev/evms/root and click "Create snapshot" Choose your unpartitioned free space as the destination (you may have to first create an LVM container on that free space and choose the container instead...) Name the snapshot something like "snap"

Reset the snap shot (maybe not necessary, but good to know how to do) by clicking the "Featured Objects" tab and right clicking the snap object. Choose reset.

IMPORTANT, you now have to edit your /etc/fstab file and change the root device to /dev/evms/root. You may also have to modify /boot/grub/menu.lst

When you reboot, your root device will be running from the EVMS layer with a snap shot. When you make changes to your disk, the changes will be written to the snapshot partition instead of the real partition. When data is read, it is compared against the snapshot volume. If you "Reset" the snap shot, all of the changes are written to the actual partition and the snapshot is cleared, though it will collect new changes. You can roll back the snapshot, which will delete the change data and your root partition will look like the time you took the snapshot.

So, once you get it working (check the wiki.ubuntu.com, ubuntuforums.org, and evms user_guide for more info, I'm regurgitating this from memory) you can do an install of LinuxMCE, and if it doesn't work just roll back your snapshot!. Once is does work, and you're satisfied I'd recommend Resetting your snapshot and then booting from the live cd to remove the snapshot entirely. Otherwise, once 5GB of changes to the disk have been made (recording TV shows??) you're device will appear "full."

It's kind of complicated, and maybe not worth it, but it's better than using dd to make and restore images, IMHO.

Edit: You do not need to go back to the live cd to remove or reset a snaps shot. The only reason one needs the LiveCD again at this point is if they would like to reclaim that 5GB used for the snapshot partition. Thought I'd clarify.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:22:27 am by bobpaul »

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:00:16 am »
Bobpaul....

SWEET!!!

nuf said.

Dan

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 01:45:07 am »
Bobpaul....

SWEET!!!

nuf said.

Dan

That is a nice idea... but quite a complex process (although probably easy once you have the setup working)

An alternative that we use that is much simpler (but less flexible) is to use partimage to image the boot partition;

Use partimage to image a clean Kubuntu 7.04 install then install lmce and once you are happy with it do another partimage of the combined Kubuntu 7.04 + lmce. Now you have the possibility to reinstate your lmce installation if something goes wrong and get it back up and working as well as it was when you partimaged it. Alternatively you can use the Kubuntu 7.04 partimage file to quickly get back to a clean base install of the OS and either install lmce1.1b2 again... or maybe b3 when that arrives!

Regards

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bobpaul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:20:30 am »
Andrew:
Definitely EVMS is intended more for the datacenter and the process is complicated by the fact that the (K)ubuntu installer doesn't support it. It does become pretty intuitive once one has played with it for a while. Personally, I wish snapshotting were more intuitive and didn't require a separate partition, but I think the quicker restoration/creation of a new snapshot once everything is setup is worth it.