Author Topic: Support for more hard phones  (Read 8735 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Support for more hard phones
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:08:20 am »
I'm about to embark on adding support for the IAXy from Digium. It is an IAX2 hardware FXS device designed specifically to work with Asterisk. I'm planning on using the Snom 220 device template for the IAXy itself. I haven't looked at configure_snom.pl yet. Has anyone added support for any other hardphones? I have the IAXy laying around, but in the future I'd like to have a broader choice of SIP handsets. There are plenty of choices without having to go hog wild with the $300-400 Snom 220.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 10:09:31 am »
In our office we also have the Cisco SIP phones, but they are about $1,000.  So I don't they are so popular.

Regarding adding another phone, adding the device template is trivial--that takes 1 minute.  All you do is specify a range of mac addresses for the IAXy and a configure script (like configure_IAXy.sh).  Then when the dhcp server detects a new request from a device within that range, it automatically adds an instance of the IAXy device, and calls the configure script, passing in the IP Address, Mac Address, and device ID as parameters.  So all that is trivial.

The work is in the configure script itself, since that's what has to do whatever needs to be done to make the device work.  configure_snom.pl won't help too much since it's specific to the Snom.  The Snom's have a built in web browser used to do the configuring.  So what configure_snom.pl does is use wget and other internet tools to programatatically fill in the Snom's web page with the device ID, the server, etc., and then programmatically hit 'update' (a form submit).  So the configure script has nothing really to do with Pluto--it's purely for setting up the phone.

That process is likely to be completely different on the IAXy device, so I'm not sure anything in the configure_snom.pl can be shared.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 10:14:25 am »
BTW, hopefully by tonight we will post the .23 release, which includes AMP.  This also changes some things.  Before we used our own Asterisk configuration pages, which were mysql driven.  However, the mysql back-end for Asterisk doesn't seem to be widely used or tested--it's quite new.  And, we figured it's best to use an off-the-shelf Asterisk portal that is full-featured.  So starting with .23, the AMP configuration files become the 'master'.  Dan T wrote a script that sync's Pluto's own Device database to match what's in AMP's--but the AMP data is the master.

So, we may need to change our configure_snom, and also any new scripts going forward should add the device to AMP's config whan they detect the phone.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
Quote from: "aaron.b"

Regarding adding another phone, adding the device template is trivial--that takes 1 minute.  All you do is specify a range of mac addresses for the IAXy and a configure script (like configure_IAXy.sh).  Then when the dhcp server detects a new request from a device within that range, it automatically adds an instance of the IAXy device, and calls the configure script, passing in the IP Address, Mac Address, and device ID as parameters.  So all that is trivial.

Hi,

I'm curious how do you get info on MAC ranges for specific HW devices - do manufacturers suply them ? Anyone else ?

BTW, I'm looking forward to this functionality in Pluto....

I'll try to add plug&play support for Grandstream phones (I think there is a way to put certain files on tftp server to configure them automatically)...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 03:29:53 pm »

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 01:52:50 pm »
Hi,

Did you get anywhere with plug and play for grandstream phones?

If not, I'll take a look tonight and see if I can figure it out. Also I'll look at Sipura too.

Cheers,

Darren.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 07:54:40 am »
Quote from: "darrenp"
Hi,

Did you get anywhere with plug and play for grandstream phones?

If not, I'll take a look tonight and see if I can figure it out. Also I'll look at Sipura too.

Cheers,

Darren.

Hi,

I think it can be done, since Grandstream supports it (I've found docs). I'm just waiting for Torindan to finish his work on script that will automate adding new device to AMP (Asterisk) configuration and Pluto system too...

Dan, can you please give us some more info, how far have you got ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 07:59:30 am »
The plug&play is working only for few phones right now...
I'm working on a big upgrade for asterisk, addons, zaptel drivers and amp (not quite stable yet).
I'll try to include some scripts which will help you to add hard (and soft) phones to pluto systems, by synchronizing pluto database with amp database and asterisk config files.
However after adding the phone as pluto device, for most of the phones, you also will need to manually configure your phone (phone menu/web administration/whatever else)