Author Topic: UK & Ireland Users  (Read 8821 times)

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
UK & Ireland Users
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:30 pm »
Hi

I have setup LinuxMCE and I am very impressed with it so far. Although I have only just started to scratch the surface of the workings of this programme.

After reading the list of compatable equipment I was unable to find most of it available here in Ireland. I was wondering what equipment you guys based in the UK and Ireland are using for home automation (I am using X10 via computer interface), climate control (no idea where to start), telephone system (that is compatable with the Pluto modules), security/alarm system (my alarm system does not have any type of interface), security cameras etc. What multi room audio/video system are you using that is controlled via LinuxMCE?

My PC does not have any serial ports I am using a usb-rs323 adapter for my x10 module (not sure how to set this up under Linuxmce) Are there any RS232 modules available in Europe?

Is it possible for me to add a VOIP vender and use their system?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: UK & Ireland Users
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
For lighting and climate control you can use Zwave. This connects to your computer through USB and it will be detected automatically.

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:47:32 pm »
For X10, you can use CM11A as an interface.
In what concerns the multi-room audio system, for any media director you have in LinuxMce, there is an embedded phone device, so you won't need anything else than a headset and a microphone attached to each MD, and you will be able to join all your MD's in a conference throughout your house. If you want, you can also define a VOIP account (there's a step in the setup wizard) or you can do that from the web admin (Wizard/Devices/Phone lines).
If you want to use a physical phone, those I know that work are: Cisco, Snom 200/320, BudgeTone

Hope this helps

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 05:52:22 pm »
Hi Juliet & Jerry

Many thanks for your replies. I am using a CM11a interface for x10 home automation this had been originally setup under Windows and Homeseer 1.7 and worked a treat. I have added the CM11A to the interface page and added lights to the light page but it is not obvious to me where you add the house code/address of the X10 modules  i.e. A1, A2 etc As I have no serial ports on my pc the CM11A module is attached via USB (Com 3) I think that it is setup correctly!

Besides the Slim devices what other multi room audio systems have been used with LMCE? I have been looking at the Philips WACS7000 system which has an ethernet port and can accept music streamed via UPnP.

Uhttp://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/tree/en/gb/consumer/home_entertainment_gr_gb_consumer/audio_systems_ca_gb_consumer/wireless_music_systems_su_gb_consumer/product/wacs700_05_gb_consumer/ce/Wireless_Music_Centre_and_Station+WACS700_05

What other devices are people using? I am particulalry interested in alarm systems that are compatible? Has anyone used any x10 climate devices? Would the x10 thermostats be compatible?

Sorry for all the questions but an application has not excited me or caught interest like LMCE has and I would love to take full advantage of it.

Please let me know what systems that you are using.

Thanks

Paul

Cj_MaN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 12:09:08 am »
I have added the CM11A to the interface page and added lights to the light page but it is not obvious to me where you add the house code/address of the X10 modules  i.e. A1, A2 etc

Open an internet browser. Type your LMCE Core IP in the address field.
Login with your LMCE user and password ( that you've created in the video wizard).
Go to Wizard -> Devices -> Lightning. Here you'll see all your lights. Be sure that every light it's "Controlled by:" CM11A.
Here you can set the
house code/address of the X10 modules  i.e. A1, A2 etc
for every lightning device, the Room where it's situated, the type. Depending of What type(Floorplan Object) you choose the picture that appear in the Lightning Floorplan will be changed.

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:42:24 am »
Hi guys

I solved the problem with CM11A I had not set the correct serial port it is now happily turning on and off fans lights etc. I was like a little kid at Christmas when my lights turned on and my fans worked!

My Microsoft MCE remote has stopped working though. If I unplug and then plug it back in it proceeds to recognise the remote and installs software and then mentions that the remote is disabled, any ideas? It was working fine until last night.

Any suggestions for adding rs232 ports to my pc?

Juliet

I was able to add my VOIP account as you suggested but had to use one of the preconfigured providers and change the login details etc, is it possible for me to make a complete new entry for my provider (Blueface.ie)

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:49:19 am »
I believe you can configure a new VOIP account (with a new provider's name) from the web admin / Advanced / Configuration / Phones Setup . I'm not very familiar with AMP, but I believe you have to go to trunks first and add one, then to Outbound/Inbound (to set preferences for local or international dialing. I have taken an account defined in the wizard as an example, and configured another one the same way.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:15:46 pm »
My Microsoft MCE remote has stopped working though. If I unplug and then plug it back in it proceeds to recognise the remote and installs software and then mentions that the remote is disabled, any ideas? It was working fine until last night.

Try using Web Admin - Wizards -> Devices -> Media Directors to navigate to the Media director that has a non operational mce remote. Check that you have an MCE remote set up and also that the IR receiver is set to the correct type for your hardware (ie mce_usb2 for a plugin usb MS receiver). If they are both correct then I have found that deleting the remote and re-adding it again can sometimes fix this kind of problem.

Hope the above helps.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:39:41 pm »
Hi Andrew

That sorted the problem, thanks. It is great to have my remote again.

Thanks Juliet

I will give it a try and set up my VOIP account.

Paul