Author Topic: LinuxMCE focus for the future?  (Read 5657 times)

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE focus for the future?
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:14:19 pm »
From what I have seen in the forums so far, it seems that the majority of information and interest seems to revolve around the media features and functions of LinuxMCE. My question is, will there be a continued focus and development of the software outside of the "MCE" for example telephony (asterisk), security, lighting, and overall home control? The "whole" package is what attracted me to PlutoHome and drove my decision to try it out over other HA systems. I am also interested is LinuxMCE as a "more open" solution but only if it will continue on the same Whole-house path.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE focus for the future?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:05:48 am »
I too was attracted to linuxmce (originally pluto) because it had the capability to do so much more than any other HTPC/Homeautomation software around. However, even though all the other homeautomation, security, telephone, lighting, features are very important to me, most important thing of all in a media center is playing movies, listening to music, looking at photos, watching/recording tv, etc. I don't feel that the project has reached a point yet that focus should be shifted away from the media center functions. Once all of the "Core" media center features are functioning perfectly (or at least close to that) then I am all for expanding the project as far as it can go. Until then i say focus on perfecting the Media-Center experience. Just my two cents.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:52 am »
pixelator,

I guess the answer will somewhat be demand driven and the demand seems to certainly be focussed on the media components, at least judging from the forums.
If the project maintains the same code base then I assume support for everything else will certainly remain and the more people that are interested in it, the more likely that people will log issues, developers will code for it and users will test.
I also would like to see it evolve with all its features, but I must admit looking at what I use now if the media components don't work then noone would be using the rest of the system. But in media components I would also include the control of existing non-IP components such as TVs, amplifiers etc.

Regards
Darren

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:17:00 am »
Here are the two main improvements that I would like to see:

1. Better TV viewing capabilities.  Keep the mythBackend, but design a new frontend that has the LMCE look and feel.  They already have a custom program guide, so that's a start.  It just feels like a hack when you launch TV and the mythFrontend starts up.
2. Get a dedicated photo viewer app and make it easier to switch between using flickr photos and your personal photos for the screen saver.  The background images are one of the coolest features of the system.  Displaying photos of the kids would go a long way toward improving the WAF.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:02:26 am »
pixelator,

I guess the answer will somewhat be demand driven and the demand seems to certainly be focussed on the media components, at least judging from the forums.

I also would like to see it evolve with all its features, but I must admit looking at what I use now if the media components don't work then noone would be using the rest of the system. But in media components I would also include the control of existing non-IP components such as TVs, amplifiers etc.

Regards
Darren

I understand that Media Control is hot right now and thats fine. Like I said, I was attracted to pluto and eventually LMCE because of the whole house solution. I use pluto mainly for home control. It would be unfortunate to see the project Move forward with a focus only on the Media features and IMHO would seem to be a huge step backward not only in terms of what Pluto/LMCE is capable of, but also in gaining a step ahead of what other systems are doing now. Pluto/LMCE could take a step forward in Home and media control (which will be taking off according to growth of existing trends) instead of just doing what the others are doing.

I'm not saying that is what will happen, I'm just pointing out a concern that I have with the uncertain development path of LMCE. I could be completely wrong here, but if the forums are any indication, it's a valid concern.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:51:51 am »
Totally agree with what you are saying. Do the guys that did the code fork for linuxMCE read this? Care to comment?

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:13 pm »
The smarthome features will still be developed, but like with any project, the development efforts go where the demand is greatest, which right now is the media.  My main focus right now is improving the TV / PVR because that's a big complaint.  The home control stuff is actually very simple compared to the rest.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 04:47:47 pm »
I'm really glad to hear that the focus is on the media features.  Thanks!!

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:27:14 pm »
I would also like to take the chance to thank the whole Linuxmce team for all the hard work they have been doing. There are a lot of people out there that come to the forums simply to complain, this is a sad thing. I for one appreciate all that you guys are doing. Cheers.