Author Topic: Good remote for LinuxMCE?  (Read 14058 times)

bart

• View Profile
Good remote for LinuxMCE?
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:01:29 am »
I'm gonna buy a new remote. Any suggestions what would be the best buy for LinuxMCE?

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Good remote for LinuxMCE?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:04:43 am »
I am very happy with the gyro remote and wireless keyboard. I have not had any issues with them so far. I know the same company also makes a MCE version that is shaped like a regular remote control but also works like an air mouse. I might pick one of those up too. Cheers.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:15 am »
Surprisingly the Microsoft Media Center remote is pretty decent.  I find my self preferring it to my Harmony.  If only it could control my receiver.  It just feels good in my hand.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:31:48 am »
@cckrobinson, if you get the usbuirt and the external ir emitter it should be able to control your receiver. I got usbuirt and it works really well.

badbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:12:11 pm »
Budget?
Do you need discrete IR commands?
Macros?
Able to have "activities"?
Control several components?

bart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:15:22 pm »
If you have good suggestions for those use-cases. List away! Perhaps there are other people interested. :)

For me: Budget depends on what I get for it in return. I'm willing to pay more if it's good value. :) The Microsoft remote seems nice so I'm leaning towards that one right now. My intention is to use it just for LinuxMCE. But if there's one that can control my other devices without much usability sacrifice then that would be cool too.

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:16:07 pm »
this remote looks awesome:
http://www.fiire.com/fiire-chief.php
but for $149.00 it should be...

eddy_alfatec

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 05:03:21 am »
http://www.gyration.com/en-US/ProductDetail.html?modelnum=GC1005M&accshow=3

Would this be compatable with LinuxMCE + Ubuntu 6.10? Im not a Linux noob, just dont want to waste money, i usually run Gentoo, what is the install procedure for the reciever etc? Thanks

Eddy

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 02:59:40 pm »
@eddy_alfatec
this gyro mouse works very nice in linuxmce. it is recognized and installed automatically.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

dale3h

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:21:21 pm »
this remote looks awesome:
http://www.fiire.com/fiire-chief.php
but for $149.00 it should be...
This looks exactly like my Gyration MCE Remote, just a different color and a few very minute label differences. Does the FiireChief run on the Gyration dongle? If so, I'd be willing to return my Gyration MCE Universal remote and get one.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:23:39 am »
My guess is that this is just a rebadged Gyration MCE remote. Dale3h, what would be the point of exchanging the Gyration remote for this one?

dale3h

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 05:01:15 am »
The component buttons on this Gyration remote are hard to select. I have to either use a key, or press the button a few times REALLY HARD until it selects the proper component.

I'm hoping it's just a defective remote, though. Other than that, I like the "x" instead of the "i" button next to the <- back button. Looks cooler!

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 05:55:00 am »
Fiire sent me a couple pre-production prototypes which I've been using.  I believe it uses the same plastic molds as the Windows remote, but i know the firmware and what's inside is just for LinuxMCE.  Everytime I reported problems they had to swap out the boards and chips inside the remote.  I'm doing a new demo video and will use it in their so you can see how it works; it doesn't work at all like the Windows remote.

Ohnonomiss

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »
i always imagined that a wireless gamepad would be really awesome. microsoft just released a wireless receiver for their xbox 360 controllers that allow them to be used with a PC wirelessly. so, if u already have an xbox 360 with a wireless remote, all you have to do is pick up this USB wireless dongle for 20 bucks MRSP. if u dont have a 360 controller, either buy the controller and wireless receiver seperately, or pick them both up together for 60 bucks MRSP.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:24 pm »
i always imagined that a wireless gamepad would be really awesome. microsoft just released a wireless receiver for their xbox 360 controllers that allow them to be used with a PC wirelessly. so, if u already have an xbox 360 with a wireless remote, all you have to do is pick up this USB wireless dongle for 20 bucks MRSP. if u dont have a 360 controller, either buy the controller and wireless receiver seperately, or pick them both up together for 60 bucks MRSP.
Well, I got the wiimote to work with LMCE, but nobody seems interested to help out with the LMCE integration, so good luck with that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous