Author Topic: watching videos: Sound but no video (black screen)  (Read 9927 times)

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: watching videos: Sound but no video (black screen)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 08:06:30 am »
> simple fix, it's caused by xcompmgr not being loaded... it's a weird bug that only
> happens occasionally in the x wrapper scripts that re-make the configs.
> switch to ui2 medium in the av wizard (hold down shift after hearing the beeps at boot)
> then switch back to ui2 with alpha.. this will fix it.

Hi Thom,

thanks for your reply!

Do you think there is a way without using the AV wizard?
- I have no display other than the TV attached, so I don´t see anythink in AV wizard
- AVWizard always destroys my xorg.conf, so I always have to restore it afterwards...

I recently switched to UI1 by making the option changable (edited the orbiter´s device template) and just regenerating screens - and video playback now works. I had several other problems with UI2, so I just didn´t believe it is ready for usage yet (there is no way back to main menu from audio playback screen, and so on...) Do you think the problems could be related to xcompmgr, too?

Is it true, that UI2 is not available for the windows orbiter? The german translations in UI1 are horrible, so I would like to contribute by providing a good translation for UI1, and if needed later for UI2, too (I will start another thread about my problems with setup of the designer software..)

Thanks again!
Thorsten

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: watching videos: Sound but no video (black screen)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 03:09:15 pm »
Correct, it's because the windows orbiter is just Orbiter by itself, without the child devices needed for a full media director. There is nothing to display in the unscaled app desktop area behind the menu.

As for translations, both UI1 and UI2 use the same text strings... there is no difference.. (in fact, the same code runs for UI1 and UI2, with only opengl/composite additions to UI2.)

-Thom