Author Topic: Upgrading from the web with the script...  (Read 2915 times)

puddy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Upgrading from the web with the script...
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:23:29 pm »
Does anyone know how long this takes?  I am on day #2 (over 48 hours) and still downloading files in background.  Has anyone else done this and if so, how long does it take?  Can I stop the upgrade and upgrade from cd?

dsh

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from the web with the script...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:22 pm »
I, too, tried the Internet download. It took about 36 hours for the file to download. I have a 6Mbps connection. After taking a read through the download scripts, it appears it would be safe to stop the download and install using another method. When you are done, you probably will want to delete the file /var/gutsy-upgrade-scripts/upgrade-0704-to-0710.tar.gz since it appears the script does not delete it for you if you abort and the file is 3.4 GB in size.

For me, it appears the download script got stuck in an endless loop. The cron job set up by the downloader repeatedly tried to execute /usr/share/gutsy-upgrade-scripts/scripts/upgrade-download.sh every 30 minutes, always stopping at the wget, even though the file was completely downloaded.

I was able to continue the update by logging in as root and manually running the commands after the wget. After the reboot the upgrade script also failed because of a bad diversion to /bin/mount from the pluto-storage-devices package. I had to remove that package with --force-depends before I could complete the upgrade.

In short, the 0710 Internet upgrade worked for me and all is good, but only after some non-trivial intervention on my part.

wortmanb

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:47:27 pm »
I tried this method too, and after an unplanned reboot, some of the upgrade started but didn't complete, and I now have an unuseable 0704 installation.  Many files were replaced (the .pbackup versions are there, but passwd is one of the altered files, and even trying to boot single-user doesn't work!) and I'm honesty not sure what to do next to get this all fixed.  The box boots, but doesn't do anything and isn't in a state where I can even get in and start poking around.  I found the .pbackup files by using a Kubuntu live cd -- am I going to have to manually replace all of these to get back where I was?

Any ideas?  Please?  Since this box was the core of my network, none of my machines that were using it for DHCP are booting properly and it's just one of those failures that impacts the whole network, entertainment and otherwise.

I am downloading the amd64 DL DVD image, but it looks like it'll be at least another 24-48 hours for that to complete (why wasn't it given a torrent, by the by?)

Thanks!

Bret

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:16:01 am »
Hello,

I'm also having problems with the web upgrade.  Connection times out - see log below.

Can we mount the DL iso and run the upgrade script against that?

thanks,
joseph

linuxmce@dcerouter:/var/gutsy-upgrade-scripts$ tail download.log
--23:08:40--  ftp://upgrade.linuxmce.com/Upgrade//upgrade-0704-to-0710.tar.gz
  (try: 9) => `/var/gutsy-upgrade-scripts/upgrade-0704-to-0710.tar.gz'
Connecting to upgrade.linuxmce.com|65.49.28.85|:21... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

--23:09:49--  ftp://upgrade.linuxmce.com/Upgrade//upgrade-0704-to-0710.tar.gz
  (try:10) => `/var/gutsy-upgrade-scripts/upgrade-0704-to-0710.tar.gz'
Connecting to upgrade.linuxmce.com|65.49.28.85|:21... failed: Connection timed out.
Giving up.

jspeckman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:04:02 pm »
Hi,
  Any news or updates to this issue.  I just tried again last night and still get connection timed out.

Thanks,
Jason