Author Topic: MD not identifying CD/DVD media  (Read 883 times)

PeteK

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 408
    • View Profile
MD not identifying CD/DVD media
« on: May 27, 2007, 06:10:15 am »
I'm having a problem getting my MD (nforce 2 chipset, Athlon xp 2500+) to recognize CD and DVDs inserted into its DVDRW drive.  If I put the disc into the drive on the core/hybrid, it functions correctly, identifying the disc, pulling down track listings, etc.  However, when I put a CD into the MD, the orbitor displays ("//dev/cdrom/1) in the upper left blue title bar, and a listing of the track files on the cd is presented on the screen ("Unknown Disc 1", "Unknown Disc 2", etc. The MD begins playing the first track of the CD. Track time is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen. Pressing the eject button to remove the cd removes the track files, track time and path display, but instead puts the text ".0x" in the blue title bar box immediately to the left of where the track time was displayed.

If anyone with more experience has an idea of what to start looking for in the logs (I assume dcerouter messages), I'll get cracking on this.

I also would like to thank Paul for getting this fork going.  The Pluto guys have put together a really amazing base to start from.  I hope that with the community support LMCE is building, we can create something even better.

norcal

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: MD not identifying CD/DVD media
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 06:29:15 pm »
Hey there, this should be a quick one to fix ;) All  you have to do is make sure you have Id-My-disc (and dvdlibs if you are going to use those) installed on all the Media directors individually. Hope that helps. Cheers.

PeteK

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 408
    • View Profile
Re: MD not identifying CD/DVD media
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:33:08 am »
Thanks Norcal!

Since a lot of the software that was optional in the Pluto version looks like it was installed by default in the LinuxMCE install, I assumed it was installed by default for the MDs, but that does not appear to be the case.  When I was using Pluto, I had to call /usr/pluto/bin/getxmls to poplulate the additional software install options.  Then I had to add id-my-disc from the MD's orbiter.  Running getxmls looks to be successful.  It assisgns package IDs to what are Pluto's additional packages (I'm not 100% sure of their status in LinuxMCE).  However, when I go to the 'Add Software' screen, none of those packages show up in LinuxMCE, while they did in Pluto.  I had to login to a terminal on the MD and use apt-get to install id-my-disc.

I'll update the mantis bug report.  If id-my-disc is installed by default on the core/hybrid, it should probably be installed by default on the MDs.  Plus, the additional software install process needs to be looked at.  I know this had some issues in the Pluto build.