Author Topic: 1.1 Beta 2 -- is it working for you ?! [PROBLEMS/SOLUTIONS]  (Read 12571 times)

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hi,

At the moment i'm still trying to download the 1.1 Beta 2 version but for the previous beta the problems and solutions/workaround where all over the place. So maybe for this beta we can try to focus it a bit more. I think there are several people (developers and community members) trying really hard to help everyone and getting things done with limited resources... why not make things a bit easier for them by getting things focussed!

And now on to something i've been dying to get off my chest for a few days now: I'm new to OpenSource, Linux, LinuxCME and its community but i already absolutely HATE everybody ranting about that things are not working right away... I too think that the 1.x version naming might have been a bit premature,

but hey! we are getting this great piece of software for FREE!! Don't want to put some effort into it and want something that runs directly out of the box?! Go spend $200 on Vista Home Premium!! You'll never get all the options that LinuxMCE is offering.

You don't want to spend the money? You DO want all the extra goodies you'd normally pay thousands of dollars for? QUIT BITCHIN' and bare with us 'cause i'm willing to wait and spend a few hours of testing to get this baby running! Want it to work sooner? Report some bugs or help with squashing them! Know a bit more about something? help somebody out who does not! Don't want all the options and want something more or less working? Go download GeexBox, KnoppMyth or Freevo!

I believe the Dev's are working their asses off if i see what has been accomplished in such a short period of time, SO A HUGE THANK YOU to all who are making any sort of effort to try to make this project work

Regards,
jester.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:18:04 am by jester »

womble

• View Profile
Re: 1.1 Beta 2 -- is it working for you ?! [PROBLEMS/SOLUTIONS]
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55:39 pm »
Hiya

Whats the difference between 1.1beta and 1.1beta2?

c4onastick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:21:00 am »
Whats the difference between 1.1beta and 1.1beta2?
Ditto, is there a change log around somewhere?

DTS

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Keng - a blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:47:43 am »
From the wiki:
With the beta 1 CD released May 16, 9% of users were unable to boot Kubuntu or install the Kubuntu live CD. Of those that could, 56% reported problems installing LinuxMCE, however nearly all those problems resolved around 3 issues: (1) a bug in the LMCE installer, (2) a samba packaging issue, (3) a bug in the KDE network manager. All three have been fixed in the May 25 beta 2. As soon as we confirm that the number of users reporting installation issues with LinuxMCE 1.1 beta is less than 15%, we will make it an official release.

LINK

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:09:53 am »

You don't want to spend the money? You DO want all the extra goodies you'd normally pay thousands of dollars for? QUIT BITCHIN' and bare with us 'cause i'm willing to wait and spend a few hours of testing to get this baby running! Want it to work sooner? Report some bugs or help with squashing them! Know a bit more about something? help somebody out who does not! Don't want all the options and want something more or less working? Go download GeexBox, KnoppMyth or Freevo!

I believe the Dev's are working their asses off if i see what has been accomplished in such a short period of time, SO A HUGE THANK YOU to all who are making any sort of effort to try to make this project work

I agree with the points you make however I think you aren't thanking a good portion of the real team. LinuxMCE repackages Pluto on a Debian derived OS vs. Debian itself, which I think it's a good thing and they should be thanked however I think the Pluto team isn't being given nearly enough credit on the site/forums.

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 05:48:31 am »
Does those with 1.1 beta 1 installed need to reinstall in order to get the beta 2 fixes etc? Or is that managed via repository and possible update functions in the LMCE Manager? Noticed it seemed to download a lot of files yesterday when I started it. But it might have been something else.

(I'm asking because I spent 3-4 days alone getting the 1.1 Beta Install working :P And I grew 10 years older in the process, ha ha.)

Another question is if kubuntu need to be installed cleanly in order for 1.1 Beta 2 to be applied or if it is possible to apply it over 1.1 Beta 1? (I just had to ask, even if something in me try to hold the action back and slapping me silly.. not sure why :P ).

Nice call with the thread btw. It is needed :) Let's make this kickass solution :)

Edit: And.. oh.. Are Kubuntu updates suppose to be applied before install of LMCE 1.1 Beta 2 or after? (asking so that the question actually is somewhere on the forum for beta2 ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 05:53:41 am by Cryoniq »

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 10:29:33 am »
@Padrino: I did not know the history of LinuxMCE, but you are right, so: also a specialHUGE thank you to the team of Pluto and all the teams of the software that is incorporated in LinuxMCE.

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:26 am »
@Cryoniq: If i understand it right (someone please correct me if i'm talking BS here!) reading the wiki under 'Before Installing':

• About 'Upgrading':
    LinuxMCE 1.1 beta should be installed on a non modified Kubuntu feisty installation

so i think at the moment there is no upgrading, just clean installs. I believe that i've read somewhere that the devs are trying to get it into de Ubuntu repositories (likely when it's stable), that would mean (i think) that in the you could upgrade with apt.

• About updating before or after install LinuxCME Beta:
    if you want to change anything (e.g. update, install other software, compile extra drivers, etc ...), do it AFTER LinuxMCE installation and basic configuration is done.

HTH,
Jester.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:03:59 am by jester »

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 11:19:21 am »
A lot of people dive into the forums right away if there's a problem so...

reading material:

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 01:15:31 pm »
if Beta 1 installation went fine, is there a reason to upgrade to beta 2 ?
Or actually re-install beta2, since there is no upgrade procedure yet ?

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 03:37:13 pm »
@caiman: If everything was working as i hoped it would do i wouldn't change it. I haven't seen any reports of extra functionality that might be interesting so i'd say just stick to it for now.

Regards,
jester.

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 07:37:07 pm »
Ok... 1.1 Beta 2 installed, no problems so far. Steps taken for installation (for anyone interested):

• 01 - Install Kubuntu
  • 02 - After you've finished installing Kubuntu you might see messages that there are updates... DO NOT UPDATE YET !!!
  • 03 - Start Konqueror (K menu > Internet > Konqueror)
  • 04 - Go to: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Version_1_1
  • 05 - Klik on the download link for Beta X ('X' stands for the current/latest Beta version)
  • 06 - On thepiratebay-page klik on the link to download the torrent
  • 07 - choose: 'Open with KTorrent'
  • 08 - choose to save it on your desktop
  • 09 - wait until download is finished
  • 10 - Open a terminal window (K menu > system > Konsole)
  • 11 - type: sudo mkdir /media/iso
  • 12 - you'll be asked for your root password (this is the password you typed during Kubuntu install)
  • 13 - type: sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 Desktop/LMCE-Beta2/linuxmce-1.1-packages.iso /media/iso
  • 14 - go to: System menu > storage media
  • 15 - klik on: iso
  • 16 - Drag the 'mce-installer' icon to your desktop and choose: Copy Here
  • 17 - Close the 'iso - Konqueror' window
  • 18 - In the terminal window type: sudo umount /media/iso
  • 19 - In the terminal window type: sudo rm -rf /media/iso
  • 20 - Close the terminal window
  • 21 - Click with your right mouse button in the 'mce-installer' icon on your desktop and choose: Kubuntu Package Menu > Install Package
  • 22 - As you can read in the window that has opened: press <enter> to exit and close the opened window
  • 23 - On your desktop 'Install LInux MCE' icon should appear
  • 24 - Click on the 'Install Linux MCE icon' on your desktop and type your root password in the window that opens
  • 25 - The first few questions you'll have to decide for yourself...
  • 26 - When asked for the 'Kubuntu extra packages CD' you choose the option 'I have an iso image...' then click on the little folder-button below that option on the right to navigate to the .iso you've downloaded before
  • 27 - In the window that opens dubble-click on: File System > home > the folder with you login-name > Desktop > LMCE-Beta2 > linuxmce-1.1-cache.iso
  • 28 - When asked for the 'LinuxCME Cd' chose the option 'I have an iso image...' then click on the little folder-button below that option on the right to navigate to the .iso you've downloaded before
  • 29 - In the window that opens dubble-click on: File System > home > the folder with you login-name > Desktop > LMCE-Beta2 > linuxmce-1.1-packages.iso
  • 30 - After answering the last few questions for yourself the installation process should start and then you'll have to wait a bit (and if you got a slow system like me you'll have to wait quite a fair bit)
  • 31 - If everything goes wel the installer will finish nicely and tell you that you that it is necessary to reboot
  • 32 - If you want to tidy up you can delete the 'Install Linux MCE' and 'mce-installer'-icons from your desktop (the iso's you might want to save for later...)
  • 33 - Perform a reboot (K menu > Log off > Reboot)
  • 34 - Apply updates as Kubuntu is suggesting

Thats it for the installation part. Starting up the first time does take a while as told.................

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:06 am »
Nice setup instructions. They work nice.

One thing that bugs me is that after install, my network icon in the bar is gone. In that one there are the management for Wireless. So when installation is done, I specified it to connect to my wireless router and set it all, that is gone. And I cannot bring it up and choose my wireless network and specify authentication. Going under network part in system settings reveal that the settings I specified is altered by install. That bugs me a lot and need to be sorted out. That is NOT what I specified the install to do. I specified it to keep the settings for the wireless and use the ethernet card for other network.

So, how do I get my wireless controll back and the menu in the right down side of bar so I can choose wireless or wired config? Doesn't LMCE support wireless cards? Why did LMCE alter that and remove my wireless application?

When I now tried to alter the settings back and restarted, bootup stalls and a list appears with ypbind and .....

and so on... hmm... I am about to break apart. This is ridiculous..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:09:03 am by Cryoniq »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 09:42:03 am »
Nice setup instructions. They work nice.

One thing that bugs me is that after install, my network icon in the bar is gone. In that one there are the management for Wireless. So when installation is done, I specified it to connect to my wireless router and set it all, that is gone. And I cannot bring it up and choose my wireless network and specify authentication. Going under network part in system settings reveal that the settings I specified is altered by install. That bugs me a lot and need to be sorted out. That is NOT what I specified the install to do. I specified it to keep the settings for the wireless and use the ethernet card for other network.

So, how do I get my wireless controll back and the menu in the right down side of bar so I can choose wireless or wired config? Doesn't LMCE support wireless cards? Why did LMCE alter that and remove my wireless application?

When I now tried to alter the settings back and restarted, bootup stalls and a list appears with ypbind and .....

and so on... hmm... I am about to break apart. This is ridiculous..

Hi,

Your lmce core really should be connected back to your router using a wired ethernet connection particularly if you are running the internal dhcp, streaming media from/to other devices on your network or network booting other MD's etc. Try switching back to a wired network connection - you may need to re-install to your installation though :-(
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 09:51:09 am »
I solved it by not using the ath0 at all and set eth0 to 192.168.1.151 so it became a part of the existing 192.168.1.x network.
DHCP was disabled at install. Can't have 2 DHCP servers at same physical network. Would cause havoc among the existing other devices.

There is a problem with creating shares in LMCE 1.1 Beta 2, just as with Beta 1. It doesn't create the directories which are to be mounted with each share. I am going to reboot and go into safemode and try create those dirs before everything else starts up, somehow. As it is now, I cannot create any dirs at all under /mnt/devices/
I am denied doing that even as root. Even denied creating any dir in that dir. I might not understand smb and mount too much but I do know it has to have a dir existing to what a link points to, and right now the link points to devices/33, 34, 35, 36 for the 4 shares, and those doesn't exist. And then it is no wonder nothing shows up of what is on the shares. There are lots of stuff in them.