Author Topic: A/V Wizard Question For Developers  (Read 3080 times)

DrACoNuS

• View Profile
A/V Wizard Question For Developers
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:04:05 pm »
Hi There,

I am successfully running LMCE hooked up to my 46" HDTV over DVI, I can successfully setup the resolutions of 720p or 1080i using the LMCE control panel under the KDE Menu --> Multimedia. However both these resolutions are overscanned so I would like to use the A/V Wizard to correct this.

When I manually execute the A/V wizard shell script, it launches OK. However the first screen asks me to select my resolution and refresh rate. Although I'm selecting the same values I am successfully using already (720p 60Hz) the A/V wizard crashes X to a black screen after that step and I cannot continue to the overscan adjustment step (which is why I'm running the A/V wizard)

A) is there a way to just run the overscan wizard without having to tamper with my resolution.

B) is there another way I can adjust the overscan?

C) is there a log file dump or anything the developers would like me to post to help diagnose the A/V wizard issue?

Thank You!

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: A/V Wizard Question For Developers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:43:06 am »
Hi There,

I am successfully running LMCE hooked up to my 46" HDTV over DVI, I can successfully setup the resolutions of 720p or 1080i using the LMCE control panel under the KDE Menu --> Multimedia. However both these resolutions are overscanned so I would like to use the A/V Wizard to correct this.

When I manually execute the A/V wizard shell script, it launches OK. However the first screen asks me to select my resolution and refresh rate. Although I'm selecting the same values I am successfully using already (720p 60Hz) the A/V wizard crashes X to a black screen after that step and I cannot continue to the overscan adjustment step (which is why I'm running the A/V wizard)

A) is there a way to just run the overscan wizard without having to tamper with my resolution.

B) is there another way I can adjust the overscan?

C) is there a log file dump or anything the developers would like me to post to help diagnose the A/V wizard issue?

Thank You!

Hi,

We've had this situation ourselves. I think the problem is that the AVwizard makes some assumptions about your display and ins some situations those assumptions back it into a corner from which it/you can't back out !! Have you tried hitting 'ESC' to get out of the black screen state?

If all else fails you can go into Web Admin -> Wizards -> Devices -> Media Directors then scroll down to the Hybrid or the MD you are configuring the screen on and manually set the resolution back to something your display is happy with using 'Resolution & Refresh' button. Then to set the overscan correctly for your display you could edit the xorg.conf & the xorg.conf.pluto files and add/adjust the relevant lines in that file (google your screen model/overscan/xorg.conf should get you the info you need)

Good luck :-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

DrACoNuS

• View Profile
Re: A/V Wizard Question For Developers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:23:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I have tried ESC, CTRL + ALT + Backspace and just about every other command but I seem to be stuck at the black screen so I just reboot to resolve that. I have managed to resize the LMCE Orbiter using the web interface, shrunk it by 10% and played with the offset. I will try to resize the entire X session by modifying my xorg this evening. Besides these few issues (which is more a linux problem than a LMCE problem) everything is working great :D