Author Topic: Network share problem (Yes I have searched, read tutorials, FAQ:s)  (Read 6491 times)

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
So.. I finaly got LMCE 1.1 Beta working basically :P I can view my dvd's and avi files.. on the core media system...

But I can not get file list etc from my Argosy NetDisk. Basically it is a disk drive in a small case with 10/100 mbps ethernet interface with built in smb and ftp server along with user access security and so on.

I have followed the instructions on how to set up the share in LMCE. Also tried manually etc.

What happen is that when I add device and add it as file server it does discover the shares and ask me questions. It add the shares as well. But nothing come out from it. So the system can indeed access the file server/storage. It also keep it alive from going down into standby mode.

Then I discovered this in console:

CIFS VFS: Send Error in SETFSUnixInfo = -5

(What does that mean?)

I also checked under  /home/public/data/others and there is a red link by name "windows share: temp [35]"

The share I am testing on is indeed "temp"

That one points toward /mnt/device/35

But there are no "35" under /mnt/device/

Feels like I have tried everything, hmm..

This is btw the settings for the device:

Core
|
Argosy NetDisk (Description and IP etc filled in)
                |
                Windows Share: temp

Windows Share: Temp has the following entered:

PK_Users = Not set.
Share Name = temp
Username = admin (works using login through smb://IP/temp so that is confirmed)
Password = <entered, confirmed several times. Not going to give it out :P )
Use Automaticaly = Not checked
Directories = <Blank>
Filesystem = <Blank. I tried cifs, smb and nfs. Neither made any difference>
Free Disk Space in MBytes = <blank>
Serial Number = \\192.168.1.2\temp
Auto-assign to parents room = Grey Checked
Max File Size = <Blank>
Password Required = Not checked
Readonly = Not checked
Online = Checked

Hope it is enough info. If not ask for what more might be needed :)

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Network share problem (Yes I have searched, read tutorials, FAQ:s)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:05:41 am »
I set up a SMB and a NFS share on my Ubuntu 7.04 box I also have (in fact this one I am using now). I had the same error in LMCE1.1 beta with accessing the shares with that as well. It found the shares and LMCE asked me questions, but no files, media etc. in that share was shown at all.

Oh right. This I might google first. Nearly forgot. But I'll mention it anyway:

I also noticed this in my log file:

CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup=-13

I slightly suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I have 3 network interfaces in this box. One is wireless which I disabled since I wanted to rule out any possible screw ups (on first install something stole the routers IP.. ha ha.. *whistle*)
Then I have a ethernet 10/100 full duplex card in it, think that was Eth0:0. Then a Eth0:1 is set for the 192.168.80 network (and I didn't intend to use internal since this box actually is just single and supose to just show media for now).

Could it be why through file manager in Kubuntu I can reach all my shares just fine, since it actually toss everything on the 192.168.1.150 interface, while LMCE manages to find shares etc. barely and then it is trying via the 192.168.80 and it doesn't quite work that way?

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:45:45 pm »
Further development.... no luck..

I set the second interface from 192.168.80.1 to 192.168.1.151 instead. Suddenly LMCE starts to autodetect the network devices. That is nice.
And it detects share and start asking me questions about them etc.

But after that and restart of LMCE router no files are detected etc.

So I take a stroll into  home and public dir and into the folder "other" in there.

There are red paths in there pointing towards /mnt/device/48  and so on.

When looking under /mnt/device it is PURE empty.. nothing there.. blank, nada, open space...

So I go.. hmm oki... that is not good.. So I try create a dir named 48 (to manually mount smb share to it)... sudo mkdir 48...

access denied: file or directory already exist.... (ffs?)

Obviously it had trouble with making that directory and mounting the smb share to it. It seems it has trouble doing so with all shares.

So.. hmm.. My only thought at this time is to make a dir under public and others and mount the share to it. I assume that will work, but it is not the way it is suppose to be =/

Cj_MaN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:09:47 pm »
How To manually mount a network share in LMCE
1. Go to Web Admin ( enter you're core IP in the address bar of a browser or from an Onscreen Orbiter go to Computing -> Web Admin)
2.Login with a Master User ( a user that has the "Master User (can modify configuration)?" check box checked in Web Admin -> WIzard -> Users)
3.Click on the Advanced -> Configuration -> Devices
4.Click on the CORE, in the left panel, and then click on "Create Child Device" in the right panel.
5.Enter a description and press ADD. It will open a pop-up window.
6.Select "Tree View", click on "File/Media Server", click "Apply Filter"
7.Select from the "Device Template" drop-down the "File Server" option and then press "Pick Device Template"
8.Click "Create Device Child" under this new File Server that you've just created.
9.Enter a description and press "Pick Device Templates"
10.Select from the "Device Template" drop-down:
                     - Windows Share if the share came from a Windows PC or an External HDD
                     - NFS Share if is from a Linux PC
11.Click Pick Device Template, and the new device it's added. And you'll see the settings for the new share
12.Complete the IP address of the machine where the share is located and the "Device Data" fields
13.Press Save and do a Quick Routre Reload

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »
I realize this is an old ass topic.  but after searching for related issues to mine, this issue is EXACTLY the problem i'm having.  I see it was suggested to add the share manually, that won't work here, it's not that the shares are not being detected, it's that they are not being mounted by automount daemon.

Was this every solved?  How?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 12:49:26 am »
The automounter itself is mounted on "/mnt/device", so it is not possible to manually create mount points there:

Code: [Select]
dcerouter:~# mount
automount(pid5659) on /mnt/device type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=5659,minproto=2,maxproto=4)

that uses "/etc/auto.PlutoStorageDevices" (invoked from "/etc/auto.master") to retrieve mount points from the pluto database.

maybe you want to try "echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/traceSMB" as root and post the output of "dmesg" after another run. Just do a "cd /mnt/device/<your dev id>" to trigger the automount.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:44:02 am »
Hari,

I'm sorry, i should have included my original post link in here...
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4260.0

yes, I know exactly how automounting works, I never presumed to try and create a folder inside /mnt/device... that was the original poster that said that, I didn't mean I used the same steps he did, I simply meant his symptons were identical to mine... symptons being:

LinuxMCE detects my shares fine but has a problem mounting them...
i've tried cifs and smbfs, no difference...
i've monitored traffic on my windows box using wireshark.. there is absoultely not a single packet of browser traffic making it to my windows box...
as a matter of fact, there is no browser traffic being generated from the linuxmce box either (I checked)..

it's as if, the linuxmce box isn't even attempting to mount the share...

yes I checked in the automount map file for the ping thing... i can ping my windows box.. I even commented out the ping statemens in the map file to make sure... same result...

i'm just so frustrated...
I posted my dmesg, logs, and all that in my previous post... see link please... i've had 2 other guys that seem pretty smart trying to help me out, maybe a fresh perspective can help...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:49:34 am by orionsune »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 02:21:24 am »
One of those guys was me, and as I said it took me a month to get mine going... not that smart! Hari has infinitely more knowledge on LCME than I do, hopefully he can help you from here..

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:20:15 am »
Ok hari, here you go.  I did as you said, and I saw nothing new.

I set value of 1 in the traceSMB file...

Here is my syslog entries

eb 13 07:35:50 dcerouter automount[19404]: parse(sun): entry 36 is empty!
Feb 13 07:35:50 dcerouter automount[19404]: failed to mount /mnt/device/36
Feb 13 07:35:51 dcerouter automount[19491]: parse(sun): entry 35 is empty!
Feb 13 07:35:51 dcerouter automount[19491]: failed to mount /mnt/device/35
Feb 13 07:35:51 dcerouter automount[19564]: parse(sun): entry 36 is empty!
Feb 13 07:35:51 dcerouter automount[19564]: failed to mount /mnt/device/36

Here is my dmesg... which only contains messages about my raid, which i know about...

[97724.228812] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
[97724.231142] EXT3 FS on md4, internal journal
[97724.231436] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[97745.906023] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[97745.906363] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
[97745.908132] EXT3 FS on md4, internal journal
[97745.908387] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[97868.789459] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

I am so frustrated... I don't understand... i've most definately narrowed it down to it being isolated to the LInuxMCE box.  I tried installing it on a complete different set of hardware, different network switch, different network cables, different windows box with a share... same result... I can't believe i'm the only one with this outstanding issue....

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:35:16 am »
wow guys
just tried it with a windows xp box and it works fine

i'm now looking into windows vista's security policies now...