Author Topic: Yet another MythTV question.  (Read 9636 times)

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Yet another MythTV question.
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:10:35 pm »
First off, the MythTV integration in 1.1 seems to be working much better than the 1.0 release.  Thanks a ton.  Was the root cause of the problem identified or is the current implementation still a work around?  I noticed that mythfrontend is called mythfrontend.real which looks very similar to the workaround identified by user Corwin in this thread "Any solutions for disappearing mythtv frontend?"

Now to my question, after selecting Media->TV it launches the myth frontend and takes you to live TV.  If you traverse back to the LMCE home screen you see a list of options including (liveTV, recordings, guide, etc.).  When you press "guide" it takes you to the mythTV guide.  In the infamous LMCE debut video that wasn't the guide that was displayed.  That guide allowed you flip through "2 weeks worth of shows" in a few minutes or something like that.  This clearly isn't the guide that was displayed in the video.  Whatever happened to that guide?  I as hoping to see it in the 1.1 release.  It looked nifty and I hope it gets revived.  The current mythtv guide is fine, but it takes away from the media centric experience that LMCE is shooting for.

mikeofaustin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another MythTV question.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:13:32 pm »
Good questions...   I hope they get answered.

Also, was this "guide" ever implemented?  Is it for live tv? or just recordings? or music? or what?  I do remember the person flipping through the 'weeks of material'.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:30:02 pm »
Now to my question, after selecting Media->TV it launches the myth frontend and takes you to live TV.  If you traverse back to the LMCE home screen you see a list of options including (liveTV, recordings, guide, etc.).  When you press "guide" it takes you to the mythTV guide.  In the infamous LMCE debut video that wasn't the guide that was displayed.  That guide allowed you flip through "2 weeks worth of shows" in a few minutes or something like that.  This clearly isn't the guide that was displayed in the video.  Whatever happened to that guide?  I as hoping to see it in the 1.1 release.  It looked nifty and I hope it gets revived.  The current mythtv guide is fine, but it takes away from the media centric experience that LMCE is shooting for.

I think that you need to select UI1 or UI2 with alpha blending for that to  be available... I may have that wrong but I think that is the case.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:47:30 pm »
I think that you need to select UI1 or UI2 with alpha blending for that to  be available... I may have that wrong but I think that is the case.

I'm running UI2 with alpha blending.  When you hit "guide" it brings you to the standard mythTV guide.  When you hit "recordings" it brings you to the mythTV recordings screen.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 09:58:15 pm »

I'm running UI2 with alpha blending.  When you hit "guide" it brings you to the standard mythTV guide.  When you hit "recordings" it brings you to the mythTV recordings screen.

I was referring to the 'tumbling' catalog of recorded shows that formed part of the 'demo video'... this was the UI2 media library browser in action... not a TV guide or EPG as such.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 11:49:25 pm »
I see.  You were referring to the "tumbling" browser that's available when you select media->videos.  That does indeed work as advertised.  I was expecting to see a similar "tumbling view" for the program guide and recorded shows after you've started watching TV.  Instead we get directed the generic MythTV guide and recording screens.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:53:10 pm by cckrobinson »

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55:16 pm »
There is a method to get to a tumbling menu for TV listings.  It is referred to as the absolute function of the left action button on the gyro mouse.  I use it all of the time, but I do not know if you can get to this menu with out the gyro mouse. 

In LiveTV continue to hold the left action button and the screen tumbling menu on the left hand side of the screen will pop up.  Then you will use the gyro mouse to scroll through the listing quickly.  I have had some occasional problems with it sometimes being empty, and other times it has the data.  I have never really tried to figure out why this is the case. 

This is also true for a DVD in order to get the Chapter Titles.

Here is a link to the Wiki page which describes how to use the Gyro mouse to control the system http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/UI

Thanks,
Rob

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 02:33:20 am »
Sweet!!  The tumbling guide works fine for TV and DVD browsing.  Thanks a ton. 

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:34:27 am »
cckrobinson did you manage to get the guide without the gyromouse?

Hugo

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:57:54 pm »
I was able to get the guide to work by starting TV and then holding down F6. It seems to work pretty well on my system.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:37:16 am »
Is anyone able to get smooth HD playback using the MythFrontend?  This is driving me insane.  I'm able to playback 1080i 30Mbs HD clips using xine just fine.  If I try to watch a 1080i or 720p broadcast using my ATSC capture card I get sluggish playback and what appears to be macroblocking.  My CPU utilization is at ~50% using xv and my signal strength is in the 90's.  It's the same behavior whether I launch mythfrontend from inside LMCE or from the KDE desktop.  I'm at a loss.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has HD playback working with Kubuntu 7.04 and mythTV?

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »
I am not sure about the cause of sluggish playback - but can you take a look at /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages to see if there are any errors from drivers during playback.

joesixpack

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 03:51:31 pm »
Try changing the playback settings in the frontend setup. I turned off deinterlacing and changed some other things that I can't remember...(I know that's not helpful.....but my brain is tired).

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 05:50:18 pm »
I am not sure about the cause of sluggish playback - but can you take a look at /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages to see if there are any errors from drivers during playback.

I'll check those logs.  My guess is that I may be running into a PCI latency issue.  The main clue is that I can playback a known good HD video clip just fine, but I can't playback one that I've recorded.  I don't think that playback is the problem.  I'll bet the HD video isn't being captured properly.  According to the link below, the IDE controller needs to have a higher latency setting than the video capture device.  I don't have a problem recording SD content because the bitrate is much lower than HD.  With HD, the capture card has to continually dump data to the drive.  If the IDE latency is set to low, it might not be able to keep up.  That could explain why my recorded shows are very choppy.  They clearly have missing frames.  I'm hoping that's my problem.  I'll try to investigate it this week.

Here's a link describing the situation.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 06:55:34 pm »
Changing the PCI latency didn't help.  My next attempt will be to move my capture card to a different PCI slot.  I really wish I could get HD working on this box :(