Author Topic: Newbie with questions...big surprise!  (Read 3871 times)

Vicious

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Newbie with questions...big surprise!
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »
Okay, I am just scratching the surface of my research, so please forgive my ignorance. I am trying to get a good feel as to whether linuxMCE will satisfy my needs before I get too far into it. If I have posted this in the wrong place, please direct me to the correct place for information.

What I currently have is 4 satellite (Dish Network) TV feeds into two standard receivers and 1 dvr receiver with dual tuners.

What I would like to have when all is said and done is 1 main media center that can accept the 4 feeds from 4 standard receivers and also rip DVD's and Music. Then utilizing a wireless network, setup client machines in 5 locations that will access the main center for their music and video needs. Preferably the client machines will be able to use the tuner functionality to have 4 separate live feeds available for DVR and standard viewing needs, with the 5th being able to utilize the same feed along with one of the other clients. Of course, watching DVDs and listening to music is a must as well.

So, am I asking too much of this wonderful product, or am I right on track. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with questions...big surprise!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:04 am »
you are not asking too much. the only problem you could have is to connect the receivers, because they must have a serial port to connect to PC (or usb). also, it's recommended to use a wired network (preferably a gigabit network).
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Vicious

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:07:32 pm »
I don't think using multiple USB connections will be an issue, and utilizing a wired network isn't an issue either. While I hate running cable, I am capable.

Guess it's time to start building.

One more thing, is internet required once it's setup? I don't have currently have a decent connection at the house.

Thanks again!

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:19:43 pm »
i made a little mistake in my previous post...those receivers must connect to watch the channels to a tv tunner. the serial connection is for controlling the receivers with the remote through the core system.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Vicious

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:55:47 pm »
Are you saying that the receivers must connect to the TV and the MCE? Or can I setup multiple capture cards on the core system? Having a main closet with all of the receivers would be awesome, but as a concession I don't see why I wouldn't be able to have the receivers at 4 separate devices. Just want to make sure I'm following.