Author Topic: Version 1.1 and MythTV questions  (Read 3793 times)

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Version 1.1 and MythTV questions
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »
I'm currently running into an issue where the frontend can't connect to the backend.  The problem is related to the IP addresses that get defined in the mythtv-setup->General section.  By default, LinuxMCE sets the first IP address to the IP of the internal network.  The second IP field is being set to "localhost".  This mismatch is an issue.

According to the how-to document at mythtv.org you either need to have both IP fields set to localhost or both fields set to valid IPs.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html 
"NOTE: If you modify the 127.0.0.1 address and use a "real" IP address, you must use real IP addresses in both fields, otherwise your frontend machines will generate "Unexpected response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION" errors."

To fix the problem I have to manually run the mythtv-setup EACH I start LMCE and change the first IP to localhost.

This was initially working, but it broke somewhere along the line.  My guess is that it stopped working when I changed the network settings for my box from within the pluto admin pages.  I currently have my box setup with a static IP and I let my router act as the DHCP server for the rest of the boxes on my network.  There must be a bug where the changes that I made aren't being reflected correctly in the mythtv setup.  Is there a place in the Admin pages where I can change the IP value that gets used in the MythTV setup?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Version 1.1 and MythTV questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:59:03 pm »
LMCE doesn't know how to talk to your router to get ot manage IP addresses. With the interlocking scripts that control LMCE its possible that the relationships all get blasted. Can yo turn off the DHCP in your router and use LMCE as your router (the way LMCE is designed)?

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:49 pm »
I'll guess I'll try that.  I didn't really want LMCE serving up IP's at the moment because I'm constantly rebooting the box while I'm fiddling with it.  I guess that beats the alternative of running myth-setup each time.  Thanks. 

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:51 pm »
If you have a computer running "Mission critical" apps (like my wife's) you can assign it a static IP in the list from the router and it will connect even when LMCE is crashed. . .

Make sure the address blocks are different for the two systems (e.g. 192.168.0 for the router and 192.168.80 for LMCE)